General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 1976aca
(newbie) Fri 30-Sep-16 12:58:23
Print Post

Vodafone Lying on Call

[link to this post]

Hi,

I called up vodafone last night to see what they'd offer me in terms of FTTC. The chap I spoke to assured me that vodafone had their own fiber network in my area and that if there were any issues I'd not need to deal with Openreach. I didn't believe it at the time so suggested I go and do some research. It turns out that Vodafone do not have their own fiber network in my area and that they are using the Openreach network the same as everyone else. I've got this call recorded. I wanted to let everyone know. If that's what they're telling people before you sign up can you imagine what it would be like it you had a fault!

Edited by 1976aca (Fri 30-Sep-16 13:00:26)

Standard User rapidsucks
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 01:02:09
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Lying on Call

[re: 1976aca] [link to this post]

They maybe sort of telling the truth...

Vodafone fibre

They told me that they install 2 pipes into the exchange and not just one. But my speed is slower than my previous ISP which was Plusnet.

So i am slightly miffed as the slower speeds and corrupt download files also. Which is why i am here now. I forgot i had joined all those years back.

Edited by rapidsucks (Sat 08-Oct-16 01:02:58)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Oct-16 05:42:51
Print Post

Vodafone Lying on Call

VF do have their own fibre network which feeds into approx a third of uk exchanges as well as providing connectivity to their 4G masts.

What exchange are you connected to?
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.59_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 1976aca
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 07:29:00
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I believe that would be just the backbone though. BT Openworld would still handle FTTC issues as the Vodafone FTTC connection would still need to use the local BT cabinet.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Oct-16 07:42:34
Print Post

BT Openworld

Crikey, there's a name I've not heard for many a year !

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Oct-16 07:50:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by 1976aca:
I believe that would be just the backbone though. BT Openworld would still handle FTTC issues as the Vodafone FTTC connection would still need to use the local BT cabinet.

Correct, It's Openreach fibre links from FTTC cabinet to exchange irrespective of ISP. However faults along this portion of your connection are relatively rare, often FTTC performance issues are from exchange onwards e.g. congestion, routing issues, fibre break etc. So if VF have brought their fibre network to your exchange then they are correct - you will largely be using their network for FTTC service. I ask again, which exchange are you connected to?

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 08-Oct-16 10:38:22
Print Post

However, VF also told you that because of their own network in your area if there were any issues you would not have to deal with Openreach.

No users on anyone's service can deal with Openreach over issues. It has to be through their ISP. Nothing whatsoever to do with any ISP's backhaul from exchanges.

It was tripe.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User 1976aca
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 10:50:38
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Hi,

I'm on the Macdhui Exchange in Inverness. I can see that it does have Vodafone 'LLU'. The fault I had on my broadband was at the local cabinet so although rare it was exactly what I was taking about with the Vodafone sales guy. We could be really generous and assume that he didn't understand specifically what I was taking about but that doesn't instill any confidence in me either.
Standard User 1976aca
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 10:52:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Oh yeah. BT Openreach. BT Openworld was the ISP that I used to work for.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Oct-16 11:11:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by 1976aca:
Hi,

I'm on the Macdhui Exchange in Inverness. I can see that it does have Vodafone 'LLU'. The fault I had on my broadband was at the local cabinet so although rare it was exactly what I was taking about with the Vodafone sales guy. We could be really generous and assume that he didn't understand specifically what I was taking about but that doesn't instill any confidence in me either.

In that case yes Vodafone were correct, they would use their own network from exchange onwards as FTTC traffic is handed over from Openreach backhaul to Vodafone backhaul within Macdhui exchange. Any line faults between the exchange and your property are down to Openreach and only the ISP (VF) can liaise with OR to get such faults resolved. I suspect VF didn't explain that very well, their sales teams probably have limited knowledge to understand the full workings of FTTC.

PS
I'm also from Inversneckie - connected to Culloden exchange not too far from you smile

TalkTalk Business 80/20

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 08-Oct-16 11:13:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to