General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Tue 04-Oct-16 17:32:01
Print Post

How common is it for a PCP to have two different DSLAM MFRS?

[link to this post]

Sorry for the abbreviation, I tried to squeeze it in as well as I could. Here's my attempt at the simplest explanation, without leaving out any detail:

In 2012 my PCP got an ECI 128-line DSLAM. That is now full up, as confirmed by workmen today, who are installing a Huawei 288-line DSLAM the other side of the PCP. I'm not sure it's been discussed here, when one PCP has two different manufactureres of DSLAM connected to it. I'm thinking particularly of the additional features which Huawei cabinets support, but ECI cabinets don't. I am guessing this might become more common over the coming years; it seems like BT/OR have given up on installing ECI cabinets, doesn't it?

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Tue 04-Oct-16 17:32:36)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Oct-16 18:30:36
Print Post

Re: How common is it for a PCP to have two different DSLAM M

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

Never, ever come across that. Likely either not directly connected to the PCP e.g. for E/O rearrangement or its been placed in error
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Tue 04-Oct-16 19:28:33
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I shall supply photos and info as soon as I collate it. I know that the "civils" people might have the tech details wrong, but the placement leaves little doubt.

There was also a PCP close-ish to here which had a 96-line Huawei DSLAM plonked next to it, only to be ripped out 3 weeks later and replaced by a 288-line one. I thought that was unusual behaviour. They also (understandably) expanded the footway box in front of the PCP, presumably to accommodate a splitter/aggregation node.

Suurprised you've never seen what I'm talking about (the main topic) before, Ribble. If I'm lucky then they'll have left the new ducts to the PCP exposed in the pavement overnight.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Oct-16 20:53:25
Print Post

I was wondering if it is going to be a straight replacement.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Oct-16 21:54:27
Print Post

Most likely placed in error
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Oct-16 07:03:47
Print Post

Possibly the 96 Huawei was intended to be close to the first PCP, to supplement the existing 96 one; but was erected in the wrong place near to the second PCP - thus subsequently removed.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 05-Oct-16 11:16:24
Print Post

Ribble

There appears to be a case in Hawthorn Road West CF14 2FE where a new cab larger cab has been installed across the road from the original 128 port ECI cab.. Not sure what supplier the new one is, it has been there a couple of months now.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Oct-16 13:39:16
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Reckon there is only one Huawei 96 line cab associated with that PCP so don't know what the other one is
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Thu 06-Oct-16 09:51:14
Print Post

Here we are then - the PCP in question is EAHAS PCP3. I'll link my photos with Google Streetview, so you can get a better idea of the (small) area if you like... neither DSLAMs are on there yet, and the actual PCP has been re-shelled, though.

This is the DSLAM which was installed in 2012, the ECI cabinet. Here's a Streetview link to where the photo was taken, although again, the DSLAM wasn't there at that point. You can see the PCP before its re-shell further up the hill.

This is currently what the front of the PCP (although re-shelled, exactly the same location) looks like - i.e. the ducting from the new 288-line Huawei DSLAM being laid. there is spare ducting laying everywhere too, some with something like "LV power ducting" printed on it, as you'd expect. Just take the above Streetview link and move up the hill to the PCP.

This is obviously the 288-line DSLAM, looking back down the hill towards the PCP. I'm sure you can work out what to do with that same Streetview link if you want to see it long before the install for whatever reason...

The two (other) nearest PCPs are implausibly far away (one of them only technically JUST I suppose, but it's... let's say 150m as the crow flies. It already has its own ECI box, as does the next nearest.

If it was for EO lines, wouldn't the new DSLAM have to be an all-in-one? It does make sense that the older ECI box might be "full", Codelook says PCP3 serves 520 properties.

Edit: One more thing: The Roadworks.org blurb does refer to "3", and having read plenty of similar references, that refers to the PCP that the work is linked to.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Thu 06-Oct-16 10:04:54)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Oct-16 13:16:04
Print Post

Has indeed been planned as huawei . Wonder if the planner made a mistake! Oh well.
Incidentally, it's a 256 port ECI not a 128 port.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to