General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Wed 05-Oct-16 16:16:06
Print Post

Your place on an FTTC enabled cab

[link to this post]

I've been trawling through the TalkTalk community forum reading various posts on falling speeds, crosstalk etc and I came across a post by someone who wanted to move to TT fibre from the fibre provider he was now out of contract with. His problem was that TT could not accept him because there was no space left on the FTTC cab he was already on. Is the space he currently occupies (with his now out of contract fibre supplier) his or does it belong to his current supplier? And, therefore, not transferable to TalkTalk ?

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Wed 05-Oct-16 16:21:18)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Oct-16 16:22:17
Print Post

Re: Your place on an FTTC enabled cab

[re: Sir_Jasper] [link to this post]

It seems to be a common issue when cabs are full. The processes don't seem to really account for this and so what seems to happen when you order a migration on a full cab is that the connection gets released from the current provider and goes back into the pool at which point the next person on the waiting list gets the freed up connection.

It isn't held by either the customer or the ISP but by Openreach and Openreach control the "wait list". The problem is that by doing a migration you seem to go to the end of that wait list - despite the fact you are migrating rather than cancelling.

Messed up process from what I've seen.
Standard User solchain
(regular) Thu 06-Oct-16 11:37:52
Print Post

As Ian says really. the post you read though I think was lucky, I have read of people moving provider to only have their order cancelled due to lack of space on the cabinet they are already on so at least TalkTalk didnt take it any further, the slot will go to the next person on the waiting list, I think you would be unlucky but before moving providers I think I would be checking availability.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Thu 06-Oct-16 14:45:54
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

You would think that BT/Openreach could set it up so that the customer wanting to move from one fibre provider to another has a "space reserved" period of say 14 days - starting when the migration has been triggered.
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Thu 06-Oct-16 16:16:58
Print Post

That's too sensible for OR!
Standard User stepdey
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-16 17:01:32
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Not exactly migrating from one provider to another, but very recently I decided to upgrade from adsl to fibre.

I initially contacted TalkTalk (my current provider) who informed me after doing the necessary checks, that fibre was not yet available in my location, but I'd soon know when it was available as everyone in the area would be talking about it ! LOL ( I knew it was however as I'd previously checked various BT sites).

I then contacted Plusnet, and once again checks were made and I was informed that I could indeed get fibre although my cabinet was FULL, after being informed of this fact I enquired as to how long a wait I might expect, I was told that it could be anything from 7 days up to 3 months to wait.

Two days later( 24th Sept) I went online at the TalkTalk website and found that an offer was being shown offering me an upgrade to fibre, which obviously I took up, Go live date set for 14th October.

Edited by stepdey (Thu 06-Oct-16 17:02:53)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 06-Oct-16 17:16:46
Print Post

[re: stepdey] [link to this post]

TalkTalk have to have a cablelink installed before they can offer FTTC.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-16 18:05:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

And how do you know that one was not already in place at the handover exchange for that users cabinet?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 06-Oct-16 18:31:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Because "TalkTalk informed me after doing the necessary checks, that fibre was not yet available in my location"
Standard User stepdey
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-16 19:31:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I live in Blofield Heath and the exchange is located in Brundall (EABRU), the supplying fibre cabinet will be No4 which is situated on Woodbastwick Rd which is a good way from the exchange.

I have a friend who lives close to the cabinet in question and has been on fibre somewhile now with Plusnet, batboy's reply leads me to surmise that when an area goes over to being fibre enabled, it doesn't necessarily mean that all the ISP's who have a presence in the exchange can take orders for fibre ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to