General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davebruno
(learned) Thu 06-Oct-16 11:05:40
Print Post

can FTTC line errors be caused from LAN side?

[link to this post]

Excited to get my line installed tomorrow but just a thought, at the moment I use netem on my openwrt router for various purposes. Netem allows me to add latency, drop random packets and corrupt random packets to simulate different WAN conditions. I'm just wondering if this would show on the WAN side too?

i.e. would using netem make DLM kick in on a FTTC connection because it thinks it is corrupting packets or does it simply see that the packet hasn't changed between the modem and the endpoint?

I use it on a router that sits behind my main router but on packets sent out and received from the WAN..

Thanks,

Dave
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Oct-16 16:50:40
Print Post

Re: can FTTC line errors be caused from LAN side?

[re: davebruno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by davebruno:
i.e. would using netem make DLM kick in on a FTTC connection because it thinks it is corrupting packets or does it simply see that the packet hasn't changed between the modem and the endpoint?

Nah.

DLM works on statistics produced deep within the modem, not the router. The statistics are a reflection on what is going on in layer 1; netem is playing with IP packets up at layer 3, on a totally different device.
  Print Thread

Jump to