General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Toonshorty
(regular) Thu 06-Oct-16 19:43:34
Print Post

Activate Status on FTTC Infill?

[link to this post]

BT have recently installed a new cabinet (P7) in the village, which is a hybrid cabinet to infill the existing P2 cab about 1-1.5km outside the village.

Last week both Openreach and Wholesale's checkers updated and indicated we were now connected to Cabinet 7, although our speeds haven't changed so this appears to be reflected in data only.

The where and when checker had P7 at the 'Connecting' stage up until today, where some engineers were doing some work and the cabinet has moved to the 'Activate' stage.

There are still some roadworks planned for next week for spine cabling works, although if the cabinet is on the activate stage I would assume these aren't for us and may be to extend the infill cab (P7) to another further down the road (P9)?

WYLAM - 7 - 343783 - BLOCKAGES Excavate onto BT ducts for the clearance of duct blockages in F/W,C/W,VERGE to facilitate spine cabling works.

Where and when seems to imply that activate means you are connected to the cabinet and BT are just waiting for the wholesale providers who update their databases to allow orders before moving to the 'accepting orders' stage. However, I'm guessing this isn't the case as we're still getting the same speeds we were before. How long would it normally take before we're moved over to the new cabinet?
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 06-Oct-16 22:25:08
Print Post

Re: Activate Status on FTTC Infill?

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

Cluld be days, could be weeks or months depending on what needs done and any obstacles they come across.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Oct-16 22:27:07
Print Post

Just waiting commissioning and acceptance testing before it's released to CP's

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Toonshorty
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-16 10:43:25
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:

How does this work in the case of an infill?

We currently have a FTTC service from Cab 2, which I've been told will be moved to Cab 7 once it's ready. I presume the CP don't have to do anything, and it's just a case of BT testing the cabinet before moving everyone across.

How long does the acceptance testing usually take, assuming everything passes without issue? I presume this has to be signed off before they'll move everyone across.

I didn't get a great look on my way to work, but I think there was a small silver padlock fitted which I believe indicates that the installation is completed.

Edited by Toonshorty (Fri 07-Oct-16 10:45:38)

Standard User gerarda
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-16 10:44:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Toonshorty:
Where and when seems to imply that activate means you are connected to the cabinet and BT are just waiting for the wholesale providers who update their databases to allow orders before moving to the 'accepting orders' stage. However, I'm guessing this isn't the case as we're still getting the same speeds we were before. How long would it normally take before we're moved over to the new cabinet?

From the experience of our village in relation to infill cabinets I would treat where and when with a huge bucket of salt.
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-16 10:48:25
Print Post

We currently have a FTTC service from Cab 2, which I've been told will be moved to Cab 7 once it's ready. I presume the CP don't have to do anything, and it's just a case of BT testing the cabinet before moving everyone across.

How long does the acceptance testing usually take, assuming everything passes without issue? I presume this has to be signed off before they'll move everyone across.

I didn't get a great look on my way to work, but I think there was a small silver padlock fitted which I believe indicates that the installation is completed.

There would appear to be a lot more involved than this - see http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4497985-s...
Standard User Toonshorty
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-16 15:46:03
Print Post

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gerarda:

There would appear to be a lot more involved than this - see http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4497985-s...

Ah, so it could take some time depending on how quickly the CPs agree on a line switch date. I wonder whether there's a more set process for this now, which allows it to be a quicker transition. Can't imagine it's particularly efficient for BT to go round every single ISP each time they want to activate an infill cab.

Strangely the Openreach checker (http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx) gives me different results depending on whether I put in a postcode or phone number.

Postcode says I'm on Cabinet 7 and at the activate stage.
Phone number says I'm on Cabinet 7 and the cab is accepting orders.

I would have thought that both inputs would query which cabinet the user is connected to, then return the status of that cab. Seems odd that the same cabinet can return two different stages.
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-16 16:44:29
Print Post

You would have thought it was inefficient to leave assets standing idle for months but BT seem to accept this , and even build it into their planning.
Standard User Toonshorty
(regular) Sat 22-Oct-16 13:45:50
Print Post

Interestingly, there's been some movement in the databases, although not the one I was specifically hoping for.

For the past few weeks, the Openreach When and Where page was showing us as connected to P7 with a FTTC service that is accepting orders. The hidden JSON for speeds suggested 80/20.

The BT DSL Checker was returning no WBC FTTC results for the phone number (as you'd expect), although the address checker did say we could order FTTC - however the speeds were the same as they are on the old cabinet.

Both databases have now updated at some point today, with the DSL checker now returning no FTTC results at all for either phone number or address.

The When and Where checker still shows us as accepting orders for both phone number and address now, but the actual JSON result shows the cabinet as 'enabled area' with no FTTC speeds. Seems a bit of a mismatch to have the cabinet status as enabled area, while the checker actually shows it as accepting orders.

(Some personal data removed - address and coordinates)
{
"head":{
"status":"ok"
},
"body":{
"postcode":"NE150PD",
"journeystage":"8",
"journeystage_fttp":"",
"journeystage_fttp_ecd":"",
"message":"enabledarea",
"icon":"ea",
"icon_content":"",
"journey_message":"<h6>Great news, you can order a fibre service.<\/h6><p>Check with one of these <a href=\"http:\/\/www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk\/OurNetwork\/Superfast\/buy-it-now.aspx\" target=\"_blank\">service providers<\/a> to see if they're offering fibre in your area.<\/p>"
},
"exchange":{
"name":"Wylam",
"status":"acceptingorders",
"lat":"54.9756203",
"lng":"-1.8229760",
"status_eng":"Accepting orders"
},
"cabinet":{
"number":"7",
"status":"enabledarea",
"message":"",
"dueby":"",
"status_eng":"Enabled area"
},
"results":{
"speeds":{
"fttc":{
"up":"",
"down":""
},
"fttp":{
"up":"",
"down":""
}
},
"fttc":"",
"fttp":"",
"fttp_inscope":"",
"fttc_inscope":true,
"eoline":"",
"nodata":"",
"m":"3100"
}
}

Would the planned maintenance checker on status.zen.co.uk show an infill migration at all?
  Print Thread

Jump to