General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User davepusey
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 12:46:11
Print Post

Can someone explain this high line attenuation please?

[link to this post]

Since moving from Sky ADSL to Sky Fibre about a year ago, our upload speed has never exceeded 0.5 Mbit

I've finally got my hands on an unlocked HG612 so that I can see my full line stats, which has revealed something very odd with the line attenuation.

Bitloading: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4schs05niqr0wn/bitloading...

HLog: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyo4glroz0e4due/hlog.png?dl=0

QLN: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wr7h6sqm2aiqvrm/qln.png?dl=0

pbParams: https://www.dropbox.com/s/06zshrvf22s7fhc/pbparams.t...

Notice how it is only using U0 and D1, nothing beyond tone 860, with the other bands having extremely high attenuation.

I changing the XTE2005 i fitted back in 2011, for a MK3 has made no difference at all.

All of my internal wiring is Cat5e, no bell wire.

Any ideas/suggestions as to what could be causing this?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 08-Oct-16 13:26:50
Print Post

Re: Can someone explain this high line attenuation please?

[re: davepusey] [link to this post]

High attenuation can be caused by long length or poor non-copper wire. You may have one wire of the pair disconnected - does the phone work?
Standard User davepusey
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 13:30:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes, the phone works no problem at all

Line length to the Cab i would estimate to be 0.7 miles, based on Google Maps, as it follows the road out of our estate and down the main road to the cabinet. This is the only logical path based on how the estates were built in the 80s and the location of the inspection covers in the pavement.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 08-Oct-16 14:00:52
Print Post

Have you taken the stats with the HG612 plugged into the test socket behind the faceplate?

Is there any chance any of your extensions, even though CAT5, are taken off before the incoming line reaches the NTE5? In fact, are you absolutely sure there are no extensions you are unaware of?

Bear in mind it is irrelevant whether an extension is used or not. It's mere existence matters.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Oct-16 14:04:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

High attenuation, 1980's estate, wonders whether it may be Aluminium cables causing the problem

Given a postcode can look and see what speed test info there is for the area and whether others have similar low uploads

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User davepusey
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 14:45:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Stats are identical at the test socket.

All extensions are after the NTE5. I made sure of this back in 2011 when the XTE2005 was fitted.

Postcode is PO30 5JR

Edited by davepusey (Sat 08-Oct-16 14:46:31)

Standard User davepusey
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 15:01:55
Print Post

One thing I haven't considered...

The house was built in the early 80's and has an LJ2/1A master socket. As this is BT/OR property I fitted my own NTE5 as per the following guide...

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/phone/nte5_self-fi...

Could the now 35-year-old original master socket, in combination with the NTE5, be a factor?

Edited by davepusey (Sat 08-Oct-16 15:02:48)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 08-Oct-16 15:05:28
Print Post

Yes it could. Are all the extensions filtered by the NTE Mk3 ? Are the ringwires still attached?
Standard User davepusey
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 15:15:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I will do my best to explain the internal side...

BT incoming pair to rear of LJ2/1A - nothing plugged in the front of it.

Cat5e blue pair from rear of LJ2/1A to NTE5 input connector.

NTE5 has MK3 fitted - nothing plugged into the front of it.

Cat5e blue pair from MK3 A/B connector to upstairs RJ45 outlet - modem connected here.

Cat5e blue pair from MK3 2/5 connector to living room double-outlet extension - cordless phone and sky box

Cat5e blue pair from living room double-outlet extension to kitchen single-outlet extension - corded phone

There are no ring-wire connections at any point, and nothing else is connected prior to the NTE5 test socket.

Edited by davepusey (Sat 08-Oct-16 15:16:16)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Oct-16 15:32:28
Print Post

Okay looking at distances alone - 42 Mbps is what our system makes for the speed.

Looking at the speed tests, someone on the old 40/20 product from PlusNet was getting good uploads, but very close to the cabinet, one or two others further away seemed to show a fall off in upload.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to