General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User inwell
(newbie) Mon 10-Oct-16 13:10:41
Print Post

Management of connection speed

[link to this post]

Hello,

Just wish to understand how and where do my ISP manages my connection speed ?
I have opted for plan with 10Mbps some have 1 mbps sone have 2 or 5Mbps and even 50Mbps plans...how this distribution is managed for individual client ?

wishes
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Oct-16 13:20:29
Print Post

Re: Management of connection speed

[re: inwell] [link to this post]

Is this the Virgin Media DOCSIS you mentioned in your first thread? That is a very different system from the other two (ADSL and FTTH) so the answer will be different.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User inwell
(newbie) Mon 10-Oct-16 18:20:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

No DOCSIS connection.. Its is fiber connection terminated near my apartment. There a media converter is placed with RJ45 output. The same connected to 8 port ethernet switch and then is connected to my home router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 10-Oct-16 18:25:34
Print Post

What country are you in?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Oct-16 18:51:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

If this is outside the UK then unlikely anyone will know exactly how your provider manages things.

With media converters etc suggests connection will be 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps, i.e. Ethernet and then somewhere in their network they will rate limit you to the purchased speed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User inwell
(newbie) Tue 11-Oct-16 18:25:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
With media converters etc suggests connection will be 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps, i.e. Ethernet and then somewhere in their network they will rate limit you to the purchased speed.

Thats what i wish to know.. how this limit is applied..? some software on their server or some hardware switch like device..?
Usually i get dynamic ip, and its always possible that i change my router..so hardware MAC id linking seems difficult to implement..
So how this system will work..? X person gets particular speed and Y person gets particular
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Oct-16 18:56:58
Print Post

It will be some software in router or switch that is NOT in your home

You will be shaped to the product you buy but then how traffic is shared out when everyone on line, i.e. contention is something that varies wildly, the default is whoever asks for the most data gets the biggest share.

In short without a lot more information on the provider impossible to give a definitive answer

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to