General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Justyn
(learned) Tue 11-Oct-16 16:50:42
Print Post

Plusnet FTTC 60Mbps cap removed

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out if my connection should be faster than it currently is.

I'm on Plusnet's up to 76Mbps. Their own estimates put me between 70-80Mbps. And the current line speed is 78Mbps.

I have had a 60Mbps cap on my line, since when and why I don't know. That was removed yesterday.

Before the cap I was getting about 59Mbps. With the cap off today, it's one or two Mbps faster. The Plusnet Hub One reports downstream 61.74Mbps over ethernet. Upload is 19.99Mbps.

I've used speedtest.net and the BT Wholesale speedtest. Both report back pretty much the same. If anything, slower.

Could it be that having that cap on has made my profile stuck? Or do you think over a few days/weeks/months it could automatically increase in speed?

I don't know much about this so wanted to try and understand it more before another support call to Plusnet.

Many thanks,

Justy

-----------------------
entanet via Vivaciti
Standard User philippercival
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-16 17:14:11
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTC 60Mbps cap removed

[re: Justyn] [link to this post]

I am looking forward to the answers to your post as I have heard about 40MBs and 55Mbs caps but not 60.

I actually get about 55, but I am assured this is down to line quality and nothing can be done.

I expect you will need to publish all your router statistics like noise margins and attenuation for anyone to give you a definitive answer.

Standard User Justyn
(learned) Tue 11-Oct-16 17:38:08
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Thanks, Philip.

Unfortunately, the Plusnet Hub One offers no other stats apart from Downstream and Upstream.

I've been reading a bit more about DLM, and maybe, just maybe, over a number days or weeks, the speed might increase as it realises my line isn't faulting.

Plusnet definitely said I was capped at 60. That it was an automatic cap, not done by them.

-----------------------
entanet via Vivaciti

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 11-Oct-16 18:08:05
Print Post

What does te BT checker at: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say for your line?

Can you run a couple of speedtest here on the TBB site and link to te results.

A screen shot of Task Manager in Network mode showing the downloads can also show what is happening.

As with PP, I have never heard of a 60Mbps cap - unless you have been "banded" due to noise or other issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Oct-16 18:13:31
Print Post

What does this Plusnet page give for your Current line speed?

If you also run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, (ignore the red instructions, just say you've done them), then don't bother with the initial results page - scroll down it and click the Further diagnostics.

What does that give for your downstream IP Profile?

I expect the IP Profile to be either 0.9679 or 0.9669 of your connection speed, with the Current line speed 0.02 below the IP profile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Oct-16 18:58:51
Print Post

If current line speed is reported as 78 Mbps by a modem/router on the line then there is no DLM capping going on at all.

Next step being what is the IP Profile BT Wholesale has against your line, and the chance that PlusNet have an old slower copy in their system.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-16 21:10:43
Print Post

ADSL low speed problem after line repair.

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What does this Plusnet page give for your Current line speed?

If you also run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, (ignore the red instructions, just say you've done them), then don't bother with the initial results page - scroll down it and click the Further diagnostics.

I get
"1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 0.13 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."

Th line is an ADSL (not ADSL2,,) connected to a market 1 exchange.
There was a line fault which was the original cause of the problem, but this was fixed yesterday. The router is connected at 7616kbps and the Plusnet page shows a speed of 7.15Mb.

How do I get this problem fixed? I have called Plusnet twice already.

Michael Chare
Standard User Justyn
(learned) Tue 11-Oct-16 21:32:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

I was finally able to do the further diagnostics, by clearing my browser cache. I might add that this test is via Powerline adapters. Can't be bothered taking my Mac downstairs and using the ethernet cable.

Test results are below. I might add that I found a previous test result when I was on the 40 down 20 up Plusnet package. Which, just simply showed my fastest speed would be 40 down, 20 up.

. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
56.76 Mbps

0 Mbps 59.6 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 56.76 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 47.68 Mbps-59.6 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 59.6 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
16.68 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.68Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

-----------------------
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Oct-16 22:01:41
Print Post

Re: ADSL low speed problem after line repair.

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

It would be best if you started your own thread Michael. Multiple people in a thread like this can get very confusing. The OP nearly got a very strange reply from me after comparing the reply to me with the reply to MrSaffron. Until I spotted the hijack.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-16 22:39:08
Print Post

Re: ADSL low speed problem after line repair.

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I did change the title to make the hijack obvious! Your post was quite useful to me as I have now got Plusnet to fix the problem using the results from your BT wholesale link.

There is nothing like being clear about a problem for getting it fixed.

Good night

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to