General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SLAMDUNC
(learned) Mon 17-Oct-16 19:50:24
Print Post

What's an R Structure?

[link to this post]

Our latest SuperfastEssex map has us down as to be upgraded using a R Structure.
Anyone know what that is? No mention of upgrading our cabinet (Newport 10), just this.

I know locally (Broxted) the cabinet there was upgraded with a microwave link to the exchange - could this be the same?
Standard User rogan8
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Oct-16 20:01:09
Print Post

Re: What's an R Structure?

[re: SLAMDUNC] [link to this post]

Radio I would imagine
Standard User SLAMDUNC
(learned) Mon 17-Oct-16 20:29:01
Print Post

[re: rogan8] [link to this post]

I found this elsewhere:
"But with our phase 2 coverage, nearly half the coverage is based on an R structure, the R annotating a Rearrange"

Maybe R Structure = new cabinet? Doesn't say how it's linked to the exchange though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 17-Oct-16 20:39:42
Print Post

Could be for EO lines or lines that wouldn't make 24mbps on their current cab due to distance.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Oct-16 21:55:55
Print Post

From that it seems to mean what Openreach call "Network Re-arrangement".

This can be moving EO lines over to a new cabinet inserted between the exchange and the user, and for users on a cabinet further away than one a close neighbour is on, so the neighbour may get a 60Mbps connection but they get only get 15Mbps estimate.

Dealing with groups of EO lines is happening quite a lot now, now that the easy bulk upgrades from ADSLx are done and BDUK projects are completing. For an individual very unhappy about the difference between their line and one two doors away or across the road - with the telegraph pole the neighbour is on only 30 metres away, it is almost impossible to obtain. Openreach will quote ludicrous prices.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User SLAMDUNC
(learned) Tue 18-Oct-16 13:21:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No EO lines round here AFAIK and cabinets are pretty sparse: 1 in Quendon; next in Wicken Bonhunt a good 3 miles away, Newport exchange is a similar distance away as the crow flies.

What is notable though is that the Openreach website says they are upgrading the cabinet (commercially, in a rural area, 3 miles from the exchange) - although Gigaclear are trying to drum up interest in the village too.

So the cabinet is out of scope of BDUK, but these R Structures remain in-scope.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 18-Oct-16 13:36:55
Print Post

Codelook reports quite a few exchange only bundles (assuming I'm looking at the right exchange Newport, Saffron Walden, Essex)

There also seems to be 3 new cabinets in the desing phase E_2 E_4 and E_6 which could quite possibly be cabinets for exchange only rearrangement.

Cabinet 10 on codelook shows as being in Build phase expected Feb 2017.

Edited by lee111s (Tue 18-Oct-16 13:38:44)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Oct-16 18:53:38
Print Post

Googling for the same phrase, I probably found the same thing... and the rest of the quote is instructive here:
The challenge with being specific about coverage at a premise level, is the distance each property is from the cabinet. We normally have the eastings and northings of the existing PCP, which in your case is PCP 3 (Turville Heath Exchange). But with our phase 2 coverage, nearly half the coverage is based on an R structure, the R annotating a Rearrange. In other words even if you happen to know the location of the cabinet, the actual final site of the new structure may be located elsewhere, normally where Openreach can pick up the most number of premises which would then be able to receive 24Mb+. This is simply not known until on the ground surveys are completed, and these are now typically only one full quarter ahead of the planned works commencing.

That suggests that a whole new cabinet is going to be built, located somewhere different from where cab 10 currently sits. Codelook says it is part of "Phase SEP Essex 17a", so not commercial.
  Print Thread

Jump to