General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Stefan338
(newbie) Tue 18-Oct-16 09:57:28
Print Post

SSE Fibre broadband

[link to this post]

I'm thinking of switching from Sky to SSE because they have a good offer on at the moment. However, I have a few questions. Do SSE still use a separate fibre modem or do they just use one box? If they just use one box, why is an engineer visit still necessary? Which router do SSE currently supply? Is it easy to use your own router (I know the Sky one won't work)? Is congestion still a problem or have things improved?

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User rjh321
(member) Wed 19-Oct-16 12:17:03
Print Post

Re: SSE Fibre broadband

[re: Stefan338] [link to this post]

I have been with SSE for nearly 5 months. The price is amazing and overall, the service is OK but the evenings are rather slow, especially if using P2P applications. As far as I know they still use one box. That's what they sent me - a dual-band Technicolor TG589vac, which works well. An engineer was promised for my install but didn't arrive, so I did it myself (we already had fibre broadband). I think you could easily use your own router, with or without a separate modem, as required.
Standard User davidoff911
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-16 12:40:39
Print Post

SSE operate a very restriction traffic management policy.

They throttle their users usually at time of peak demand such as evenings and weekends.

The price is amazing if you just want regular usage. For me, SSE is not recommended for P2P i.e. any sort of torrenting.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Wed 19-Oct-16 13:50:07
Print Post

[re: davidoff911] [link to this post]

P2P and torrenting is fine during the day, just not the evenings

SSE - 80/20
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Wed 19-Oct-16 13:50:33
Print Post

Simple to use your own router, I use my own

SSE - 80/20
Standard User ibk68
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-16 15:08:42
Print Post

Just be aware that if you want caller display, or other addons, they will set you back £3.50 a month extra
Standard User ironman12345
(regular) Wed 19-Oct-16 21:11:58
Print Post

[re: ibk68] [link to this post]

I have been with BT for about 3 years now and am not in contract.
They charge me £62 per month including the line rental.
This thread is interesting to me because SSE sound ok depending on the price , how much would they charge me for say 80/20 FTTC per month.?
And do I have to keep my line with BT.
I only use the broadband not the phone.?
Standard User rjh321
(member) Thu 20-Oct-16 11:44:20
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

SSE is £21 per month total. That includes unlimited 80/20 fibre broadband (they call it Ultrafast), anytime phone calls and calls to international numbers in 20 countries. That offer lasts until 14th November. You will need to have their phone package even if you don't use it so you pay them for everything, but it's still a BT line really, underneath.

Oh, and there's no postage charge for the free dual-band router - makes a change!

Concerning Caller Display (which somebody else mentioned), I had that already when I switched over. I phoned them and said I didn't want to pay extra for that. They said OK. I still have it several months later and I'm not paying extra!

Edited by rjh321 (Thu 20-Oct-16 11:55:41)

Standard User ironman12345
(regular) Thu 20-Oct-16 12:13:17
Print Post

[re: rjh321] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rjh321:
SSE is £21 per month total. That includes unlimited 80/20 fibre broadband (they call it Ultrafast), anytime phone calls and calls to international numbers in 20 countries. That offer lasts until 14th November. You will need to have their phone package even if you don't use it so you pay them for everything, but it's still a BT line really, underneath.

Oh, and there's no postage charge for the free dual-band router - makes a change!

Concerning Caller Display (which somebody else mentioned), I had that already when I switched over. I phoned them and said I didn't want to pay extra for that. They said OK. I still have it several months later and I'm not paying extra!

Thanks! rjh321 will give them a call later.
About P2P slowdowns , I think that most ISP`s try to slow P2P down.?
I don`t use wifi [wireless] just Ethernet to router so the dual band bit should not concerned me.smile

Edited by ironman12345 (Thu 20-Oct-16 12:21:40)

Standard User rjh321
(member) Thu 20-Oct-16 12:29:52
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

P2P is OK during the day. Suits me as I'm retired!
Ethernet to the router should be fine.
You might get the best deal by ordering through their website - www.sse.co.uk.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to