General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ccarmock
(newbie) Sat 22-Oct-16 11:12:22
Print Post

Stuck on banded profile

[link to this post]

I have Fibre broadband with plusnet. My router tells me I have an attainable speed of 36 Mb/s however the sync is never greater than 29999 and after plusnet ran a test it shows I am on a banded 30 Mb/s profile.

At the moment this is at a property not occupied all the time, but the broadband is used for remote monitoring & when visiting.

PlusNet say the only way this can be fixed is with a site visit. However since removing banding does not require a site visit, AND I am not there at the time they can call I am struggling to understand why this can't be fixed remotely.

Does any one have any experience of this and convincing an ISP that BT to remove the band without a visit.

They further tell me if they turn up and do not find a fault they will charge me. The test says there is no fault in my property just a banded profile.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Oct-16 12:05:35
Print Post

Re: Stuck on banded profile

[re: ccarmock] [link to this post]

Banding is applied by the Openreach DLM who will not remove it manually unless an Openreach engineer has found and fixed a fault. What plusnet are telling you appears to be correct.

The DLM will in time, if the line is now behaving within normal error rate paramaters, remove the banding. That can take from a few weeks to several months, from the reports of others on these forums experiencing it.

You are stuck until the auto system relents I'm afraid. The more you mess around reconnecting, if you are doing, the longer it could take.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 22-Oct-16 12:06:14)

Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Oct-16 17:21:56
Print Post

It took nearly 2 months for mine to get unbanded after a line fault and no engineer DLM reset. I'd almost given up hope, but it happened eventually.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sat 22-Oct-16 19:23:56
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

I just ran mine for 3 days then did a reboot - problem solved
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 23-Oct-16 09:43:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Banding is applied by the Openreach DLM who will not remove it manually unless an Openreach engineer has found and fixed a fault. What plusnet are telling you appears to be correct.
What Openreach appear to lack is a procedure where they always reset lines after a problem is corrected.

The DLM will in time, if the line is now behaving within normal error rate paramaters, remove the banding. That can take from a few weeks to several months, from the reports of others on these forums experiencing it.
Thereby ensuring that the adverse impact of a fault are perpetuated for much longer than necessary.

Michael Chare
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Oct-16 09:55:37
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

The wording on tasks clearly states that a DLM reset should only be triggered if a 'hard' fault has been found and cleared and if the max rate is significantly higher than the actual.

I'm not defending that, just informing.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 23-Oct-16 10:05:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

But is there any procedure to ensure that resets are done where a hard fault is corrected?

My impression, based on ADSL lines, is that there is not.

Michael Chare
Standard User mikejp
(member) Sun 23-Oct-16 10:38:39
Print Post

Had an almost similar experience with PN.

Firstly, as is known, there were 'issues' at PN in moving users to the 55/10 setup. I was put on 40/10 having been on a 40/20. After a bit of nagging, they 'discovered' the fault and corrected it. Subsequently my speeds hit a trough and PN support worked hard and well to get OR to correct 'a line fault' on my line. I went to the high 40's, occasionally just over 50 wih a sync of 54999.

A month or so ago I 'powered down' the house for a week while I was away. Came back to the high 30's. Again, a good response from PN support who could not work out how the speed 'appeared' to be capped at 40 while they had 55 and said it would probably be a BT 'thing' and they needed a TAP3 test. Unfortunately the delivered speeds (around 37-38) were always 'just over' the BT 'minimum' so no TAP3. Last week I discovered with 'joy' I was just below the 'minimum' (in the 'red') and started a TAP3 to find 'could not connect to the server'. Damn! Tried the next day and 'amazingly' the BT minimum had dropped and was now below my speed, so again no TAP3. PN kept fully informed, and I know not what happened, but I am now back to the high 40's again. I cannot see DLM could have had any part in it, since the lower speed existed for well over 10 days.

Sync the whole time 54999. I do think the response from PN was good if time-consuming.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Oct-16 11:47:13
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

On an FTTC circuit, performing a reset is simplicity itself.

On ADSL, a different matter, Openreach staff can have access to test suite called WOOSH and implement a reset via that, but only on BT Wholesale based services, the reset also does not reset the IP profile unless it's a 21cn based service.

If working on an LLU service, then it takes an (often lengthy) phone call (if you've been give the correct contact details) to the owning CP, and even then they can be loathe to do it.

Standard User ccarmock
(newbie) Sun 23-Oct-16 12:33:46
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

The line is very stable - no dropouts but it's been stuck like this for about 2 months now.....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to