General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Oct-16 17:27:01
Print Post

Moving house with FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I searched, but didn't get all the answers I'm hoping for.

I currently have FTTC with Zen, and my phone line's with them too. I'm due to move house hopefully on Friday next week (Please let the contracts exchange on Monday. Please!).

Anyway, FTTC is available at the new house, and their are actually 2 physical lines run to it.

Can I start the move now, or do I have to wait for the contracts to be exchanged? Does it rely on the current owner planning a cease on their service? They've already ceased one, but it's not the one I want the FTTC set up on.

How long, from your experiences, before I'm up and running again? I work from home quite often, so very keen to get everything up and running.

Anything I should/shouldn't do to get online fast? Is it worth ordering ADSL to get things up faster, then switching to FTTC?

Any/all advice appreciated.

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Oct-16 19:02:07
Print Post

Re: Moving house with FTTC

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Wouldn't it be very foolhardy to arrange to have the service transferred before the contracts have exchanged ? What happens if it all goes Pete Tong. ?

Ask Zen would be the safest bet.

Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Oct-16 19:08:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi Zarzaj,

I asked Zen; apparently 15 days frown wondering if there's any middle ground to at least get something working.

You're right re. exchange, and therein lies my hesitancy, but at this time it seems to just be a matter of getting last bits of paperwork back.

Even if I wait for exchange, open to ideas to get something (other than a 56k modem) up and running.

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Oct-16 19:35:01
Print Post

Mobile dongle? That's what some friends of mine did when they moved.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 22-Oct-16 19:35:31)

Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Oct-16 19:38:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's my backup plan, but those things are expensive!

I'd be happy with a 2 meg ADSL line until FTTC can get installed.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Oct-16 22:16:28
Print Post

You can get line and ADSLx/FTTC on Simultaneous Provide. (SIM Provide - where SIM is nothing to do with SIM cards). It requires the CP or CPs to know this is what you want, because whatever is ordered first has to have a request to Openreach to provide a SIM order number. That number is then supplied by the ordering CP (via you if a different CP) to OR with the order for the other product.

OR tie the two orders up using that number and bingo!

Or not frown.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 22-Oct-16 23:43:39
Print Post

I had to use a mobile phone WiFi hot spot in a similar situation. I find that technology works quite well as long as you can get a decent phone signal. 3g+ or 4g. I use a PAYG SIM as that limits the cost, and if the mobile network dislikes tethering, the worst they are likely to do is stop the SIM

Michael Chare
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Oct-16 08:35:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Do 'em all the time, line install and associated FTTC cab jumper.

As Bob says, just ensure the CP knows what you want.

Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Oct-16 13:05:49
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The problem appears to be the lead time, which I suspect is for the FTTC engineer. Zen are already planning a simultaneous provide.

15 days was the lead time when I called. Hopefully it's shortened (and not lengthened!).

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User sills
(member) Sun 23-Oct-16 17:59:24
Print Post

15 days is normal. I do orders for customers quite often and it's usually 2-3 weeks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to