General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Sat 05-Nov-16 16:32:07
Print Post

Confused over moving from Talktalk to BT

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm currently on Talktalk fibre and receive speeds of up to 15mb/s down due to my road having poor fibre speeds. Prior to this I had ADSL and it was useless, dropping a lot, a low speeds.

I cancelled my Talktalk account when the price rises were announced as we've had a lot of problems with Talktalk. I gave my 30 days notice to them to quit.

I placed an order with BT Infinity for their BT Infinity 1 product (unlimited). They told me because I had cancelled Talktalk they would have to give me a new phone number. I had no issues with that as I don't use the phone ever anyway. However, there have been a few hiccups since...

The phone line and broadband were due to be installed in a few days time, but this was prior to the Talktalk service ending. So BT had to move my installation date to the 15th of this month. They didn't tell me this at BT, they just cancelled my order! I called up and resolve this over the phone, they continued the same order on a new date to avoid me having to order again and get further credit checks etc. No major issues, I'm just without internet for 2 days. I can live with that.

Today I logged on to my BT app to check how the installation was going after the last hiccup and I see that my order now states the phone will be installed on the 15th but the broadband order has yet again been cancelled! No calls, no emails, no letters, just cancelled without telling me anything.

I've just called BT again to see what's going on and it was explained that my line was at capacity and as such the speed I was getting was too slow for BT Infinity. Apparently they've had to cancel my order till the new line is installed at my house and once this has happened on the 15th they will re-order my broadband for me on the 16th as an expedited order. The lady on the phone seemed to think they would be able to increase my speed from what I was getting from Talktalk this way and provide me with proper fibre speeds.

I asked why this had to happen when I had a working fibre line in right now that I am using today. Admittedly it's not the fastest, but having lived with shocking ADSL in the past it's fine for me. But I was told it had to happen to improve my line quality and get my speeds up to scratch.

The phone line to my house is a new line that was installed from the wooden pole at the end of the street less than 12 months ago and the wiring in the house is all new with a new master socket too - all done by BT when I had Talktalk sort my line out. So what exactly are BT doing now?

I'm not overly fussed about a delay of a few days if it means I still get my fibre broadband but I am worried that they disconnect my fibre and the box becomes over subscribed and I'm stuck without it. I also don't believe they can increase my speed or Talktalk would surely have done this?

Am I completely wrong here or is BT doing something that doesn't make sense?

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Nov-16 16:47:11
Print Post

Re: Confused over moving from Talktalk to BT

[re: pebbleheed] [link to this post]

BT Consumer will not supply Infinity if the estimate for the line is below 15Mbps. That lets them advertise high average speeds for it.

What they do offer for estimates below 15Mps is "Faster broadband with fibre". Which is identical technically and in use, just a different name. I haven't checked re price.

As far as I know no other ISP makes this distinction.

The stuff about a new line being better is garbage, unless they have identified it as being slower than all neighbouring houses. In which case they should be fixing it!

Normally a second line can be the same, a bit better, or a bit worse than a first one.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Sat 05-Nov-16 17:07:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Does that mean they will refuse to supply me with fibre and make me use ADSL instead?

Am I better to cancel BT and head to another provider?

The ADSL in my area is so shocking it drops out all the time and the speeds making gaming unplayable. The only fix for me was to move to fibre which fixed everything, even if I wasn't getting maximum speeds.

I am worried that BT will chuck me back to ADSL and it will be too late to do anything about it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Sat 05-Nov-16 17:09:05
Print Post

Sorry, just re-read your post. So they should give me a fibre product one way or another?

I am just very worried about being dumped back on ADSL, it was unusable.
Standard User mirage4802
(learned) Sat 05-Nov-16 17:10:22
Print Post

Sorry to detract from the conversation but are TalkTalk customers still able to leave fee-free due to the price rises?

TalkTalk Fibre Medium
Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Sat 05-Nov-16 17:14:29
Print Post

[re: mirage4802] [link to this post]

If you received your notification less than 30 days ago, yes, if not no.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Nov-16 17:39:23
Print Post

As you are having a provide order, rather than a migration the lead time for providers is generally longer.

By cancelling the TalkTalk service rather than migrating you've complicated things.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Nov-16 17:43:41
Print Post

I haven't seen this scenario before, but if your order says Infinity then you will either get it or the order will be cancelled again. They won't drop you to ADSL2+ just be default.

The faster broadband with fibre will be fine if they do cancel, but AIUI that would be a further order which you would arrange by speaking to them. It's a complete PITA.

I expect others will be along later who may know more. But good luck. You won't end up on ADSL2+ and stuck in contract. As long as it is Infinity showing on your order.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Sat 05-Nov-16 18:11:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's the one thing I don't want. I can't go back to ADSL. It never works here.

My order says Infinity 1 unlimited. If they put me on the fibre product that isn't infinity but is exactly the same bar the name I can live with that. As long as it's fibre and is as fast as we have now and as reliable I'm happy.

I just don't want to leave it and end up stuck with ADSL or starting from scratch again.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Nov-16 19:23:03
Print Post

Have you checked your present line, using the Quiet Line Test, using a corded phone first directly in to the NTE wall socket where the phone line comes in to your house, then in an internal socket with all the relevant items also plugged in?

Ring 17070, select Option 2 QLT; and listen for about 1 minute, about 5 repetitions of the phrase "Quiet Line Test".

Generally the line should be very quiet to silent. A very low hum is acceptable.

If the first test shows the outside line to be quiet, any noises heard on later inside tests are likely to be arising from your own equipment - it would be your responsibility to eleimnate them.

--------

Also FTTC VDSL uses the last part of the outside line from the FTTC and PCP (traditiional distribution cabinet) so any problems there can wreak havoc with VDSL "Fibre", as it is affected more than ADSL.

Although your outside line is only 12 months old, it may have suffered damage in storms etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to