General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gtmcclinton
(regular) Tue 08-Nov-16 11:21:15
Print Post

Explanationfor this cryptic "FTTP on demand" codelook info?

[link to this post]

For my exchange, there is a new cabinet showing, saying FTTP from 30th Sep 2016.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=2...

I thought FTTP didn't use cabinets as such?

When I check availability on www.dslchecker.bt.com, there is no FTTP showing for my phone number.

What is going on?

On this rural exchange, if I had the choice between FTTC and FTTP, would it be worth the extra outlay for FTTP?

N.B. I don't have FTTC available yet, but I have seen a notice posted on the fence outside the exchange that they have plans to build a new PCP and Fibre cabinet pair across the road.

Live date for this is February 2017, but when I last checked 3 weeks ago, they hadn't even started building them yet!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Nov-16 11:37:04
Print Post

Re: Explanationfor this cryptic "FTTP on demand" codelook in

[re: gtmcclinton] [link to this post]

FTTP on Demand is the FTTP you can order that has a three year contract, £150+ per month cost and several £1000 install costs. FTTP on Demand is limited to areas where VDSL2 is available.

This is NOT the GEA-FTTP that some areas are getting.

Code look if it is aimed at consumers should be explaining this.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bluemoon87
(learned) Tue 08-Nov-16 13:50:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Judging from what it says in my area codelook displays FTTP for PCP cabinets where an area has native FTTP, not sure where it gets this information from

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Nov-16 14:20:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
FTTP on Demand is the FTTP you can order that has a three year contract, £150+ per month cost and several £1000 install costs. FTTP on Demand is limited to areas where VDSL2 is available.

I think its an error on CodeLooks site.
Our area on our exchange has had so many errors on the CodeLook site and has done since the last 2 to 3 updates they have had.

Most of the areas covered by our exchange is as far as I know GEA-FTTP however all PCP cabinets on that site that have FTTP is listed as FTTP on Demand as well, example below.

Like for example:
Fibre: From 27th July 2011
Type: FTTC, FTTP
BT Exchange: Ilford Central
Exchange Code: LNILC

Cabinet P39 FTTP from 30th December 2011, FTTP on Demand

I think the people at CodeLook just add the new data to their database instead of doing a replace, I know 3 updates back it displayed that all areas on our exchange that did have FTTP which was also listed as FTTC as well, then 2 updates back all areas with FTTP lost the FTTC info.

Why anyone that could get FTTP would want to pay loads more to get the same speeds I don't know.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Nov-16 14:22:53
Print Post

[re: bluemoon87] [link to this post]

With the GEA-FTTP (native) rather than on-demand, then it is often aligned to the old cabinet footprints.

I don't use codelook, so not used to the oddities that they may be using.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Tue 08-Nov-16 14:32:08
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

I think its an error on CodeLooks site.
Our area on our exchange has had so many errors on the CodeLook site and has done since the last 2 to 3 updates they have had.

Most of the areas covered by our exchange is as far as I know GEA-FTTP however all PCP cabinets on that site that have FTTP is listed as FTTP on Demand as well, example below.

Like for example:
Fibre: From 27th July 2011
Type: FTTC, FTTP
BT Exchange: Ilford Central
Exchange Code: LNILC

Cabinet P39 FTTP from 30th December 2011, FTTP on Demand

I think the people at CodeLook just add the new data to their database instead of doing a replace, I know 3 updates back it displayed that all areas on our exchange that did have FTTP which was also listed as FTTC as well, then 2 updates back all areas with FTTP lost the FTTC info.

Why anyone that could get FTTP would want to pay loads more to get the same speeds I don't know.

Paul

I presume in this case, what that is saying is that the 'cabinet' area is served by a WBC FTTP service. However, this may not cover every postcode. It's entirely possible that you are in an FTTP area but not actually receive a WBC service, in which case your only option would be FTTP on Demand.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Nov-16 14:38:17
Print Post

With the GEA-FTTP (native) rather than on-demand, then it is often aligned to the old cabinet footprints.

I don't use codelook, so not used to the oddities that they may be using.

Well I only used CodeLook when looking up some information for people and to also see if our information was updated.

Now that I cannot do my automated checks (BTW moaned at me) so I had to stop, luckily we finally got our FTTP 25 days ago, so I haven't really needed to go to that site apart from checking the status of our exchange etc.

It just looked strange seeing FTTP on Demand for areas that already had FTTP, I would understand it if it was listed on FTTC areas, but not for FTTP areas.

The classic oddities I saw a while back (about a year) was when everyone that already had FTTP lost that tag and was replaced with FTTC, but that was an openreach database error which also confused BT Sales.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Nov-16 14:56:23
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Toonshorty:
I presume in this case, what that is saying is that the 'cabinet' area is served by a WBC FTTP service. However, this may not cover every postcode. It's entirely possible that you are in an FTTP area but not actually receive a WBC service, in which case your only option would be FTTP on Demand.

Well FTTP on Demand is only for people that have access to FTTC for what an engineer told me.

Also if in a FTTP area i.e. their PCP cabinet was listed as supporting FTTP (yes I know FTTP doesn't use a cabinet, but BT use the cabinet number to see what's been done), but if they are unable to get FTTP due to lack of fibres then FTTP on Demand won't help due to there would be no fibres to connect them to, so there is no point offering FTTP on Demand for FTTP areas, if you get me.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Nov-16 14:59:41
Print Post

All areas that have FTTP coverage have WBC/WBM Ccoverage.

Very few areas anyway do not have WBC/WBMC coverage - Kingston-Upon-Hull for instance, but Openreach aren't there either so GEA-FTTx isn't available.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Nov-16 14:59:42
Print Post

Duplicate post

Duplicate post frown

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 08-Nov-16 15:09:03)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to