General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User n21
(newbie) Thu 10-Nov-16 16:08:33
Print Post

Fibre available with BT but not TalkTalk

[link to this post]

Hi there! BT recently upgraded my cabinet to fibre (on October 1), however I want to stay with Uno and use their unlimited TTB-LLU service.

However, both Uno and TalkTalk are advising that they are unable to take orders for my line as fibre isn't available.

I currently use an ADSL2+ TTB LLU service, so the equipment is there. Plus TalkTalk will take orders for my neighbours that are connected to other cabinets. Is this just a case of waiting for TalkTalk's databases to update?

Thanks! smile

Edited by n21 (Thu 10-Nov-16 16:09:02)

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 10-Nov-16 16:16:32
Print Post

Re: Fibre available with BT but not TalkTalk

[re: n21] [link to this post]

It's likely they haven't bought a GEA-cable link in the exchange to hand over traffic from Openreach's network to the TalkTalk backhaul whereas BT wholesale most likely have done.

Only TalkTalk would know when this is going to happen.
Standard User n21
(newbie) Thu 10-Nov-16 16:17:18
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Surely they have if other cabinets can use TTB fibre services?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 10-Nov-16 16:19:44
Print Post

If there's other cabs on the exchange then they must have.

Has to be a database issue then. Again, only TalkTalk will know how long it takes to update.
Standard User n21
(newbie) Thu 10-Nov-16 16:21:24
Print Post

Yeah, I checked a bunch of neighbour lines that are on other cabinets. One cabinet, for example, that was upgraded to fibre in April will accept orders. But mine, that was upgraded October 1, does not.

I've asked TalkTalk and they're in denial that BT will even offer me fibre services at all, so they're no help either. Guessing it'll just be a case of waiting it out, as you say!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Nov-16 16:25:10
Print Post

The GEA-cable link is in the Fibre head-end exchange, which may or may not be your telephone exchange - though FTTC in your area will be shown for your telephone exchange.

If your exchange has only recently started to be shown available on your exchange then TalkTalk are notorious for being the last to buy that cable link from Openreach. BT Wholesale are always there on Day 1, as that is the definer for it being available. That means nearly every ISP in the country can get it.

Sky are usually there just as quickly I think these days. TalkTalk sometimes seem to wait until BTW is up and running before ordering one.

Uno can probably offer you BT Wholesale based FTTC, but not the TTB one yet - or ever.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Nov-16 16:26:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by n21:
Yeah, I checked a bunch of neighbour lines that are on other cabinets. One cabinet, for example, that was upgraded to fibre in April will accept orders. But mine, that was upgraded October 1, does not.
Was that check using the uno/TT website?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User n21
(newbie) Thu 10-Nov-16 16:43:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by n21:
Was that check using the uno/TT website?

It was indeed. Uno says it's available but they cancelled my order. TalkTalk and TalkTalk Business both say it's unavailable for my cabinet but other cabinets connected to the same exchange show as available.

Edited by n21 (Thu 10-Nov-16 16:44:25)

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 10-Nov-16 17:11:36
Print Post

As has been said by Roberto, your cabinet doesn't necessarily connect to your exchange. The fibre can be from a different exchange.
Standard User n21
(learned) Thu 10-Nov-16 17:12:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by lee111s:
As has been said by Roberto, your cabinet doesn't necessarily connect to your exchange. The fibre can be from a different exchange.

It's definitely the same exchange as the others, we're only a small village.

It's exchange EAMTS, cabinet 5 if that helps clarify! smile

Thanks for all your help, by the way everyone!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to