General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User swfc247
(newbie) Sat 12-Nov-16 12:48:20
Print Post

The Fibre Journey

[link to this post]

Hi Folks
Can anyone shed any light on the fact the openreach site has been stating I will be able to get superfast broadband "typically within the next four months" since Feb this year. full text:

We're connecting power to the new fibre cabinet and joining the new fibre lines to the existing copper network.

You can't order a fibre service today but typically it'll be available to your premises within the next four months.

Exchange name: Whickham
Exchange status: Fibre enabled
Cabinet number: 9

cheers
M
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 12-Nov-16 12:52:45
Print Post

Re: The Fibre Journey

[re: swfc247] [link to this post]

Power connections rely on the local power company, and can be highly variable in time frame.

Best bet is to use www.roadworks.org to see what current and future road works are planned

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User swfc247
(newbie) Sat 12-Nov-16 12:58:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks for that, but if that is a reliable indicator......nothing planned in the next four months !!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 12-Nov-16 13:36:08
Print Post

If other roadworks in area show up then probably a good idea (if none suggest council may not be supplying data)

It is possible the ducting work is all done and no roadworks needed, i.e. just a safety barrier on footpath for next bit. Its a puzzle and putting and generally boils down to just waiting.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sat 12-Nov-16 14:10:24
Print Post

Keep checking regularly. It gets updated on the fly daily.

Just because it's not on there for the next 4 months doesn't mean it's not planned for a few weeks time. It only appears on roadworks once they've notified and had sign off from the local council as far as I'm aware.
Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Sat 12-Nov-16 14:57:22
Print Post

Totally unrelated note but we're actually moving into our new house in Whickham on Friday. We're on cab P16 though. Anything we should know before we move? tongue

Codelook currently has that cabinet at: FTTC being Connected, live due by May 2016

I can't see much in the way of roadworks in the area, there's a lot going on with Virgin Media. Whereabouts is P9? Is it the bit down by Swalwell? I remember having a look at a house down there, but was put off by the lack of both FTTC and VM. In the end we found a better house for us further up the bank, which has both FTTC and VM.

I can only assume BT are either having all sorts of problems with collapsed ducts, or the cost of connecting the cabinet to mains power is proving either very expensive or is a difficult project that may take a bit of time.

Keep an eye on roadworks.org (enable the roadworks filter and set the time range up to 12 months) and see if anything pops up there. Normally the description will let you know what work is planned.
  Print Thread

Jump to