General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Nov-16 10:03:09
Print Post

FVA at last :)

[link to this post]

Hey All

Well as of this morning our phone line went over to fibre, only took 4 weeks and 3 days to happen.

Anyway we received an email from BT as well as a SMS with the 3 steps where the 1st and 2nd was to flip the switch from copper to fibre and the 3rd being phone the supplied number while on the fibre line and follow the instructions.

Sadly we had no FVA NTE face plate to switch which is fine, the engineer did ask me if I wanted one fitted when he installed our fibre, he did say that it will stick out up to an inch which could get knocked and that there is no reason for it if we are to no longer use the copper line.

So I told him just leave the two wires in the NTE5a box and I will use my IDC punch tool to remove the old copper wires and attach the new ones when it goes live.
He was happy with that.

Last week I received a phone call from BT on behalf of our case handler from BT asking about our FVA install and asked if we needed an engineer to do any install, basically the FVA face plate.

I told the guy on the phone that the engineer already created the cable from the ONT to the master socket and curled up the wires and where I had all the required tools etc and the line of work that I used to do he was happy me doing this when it goes live.

I was expecting them to say don't touch it but the BT guy on the phone (FTTH / exec complaints) said that's fine but if I do run into any issues I was to phone them.

So it just shows you BT don't always mind you touching the phone line beyond the master socket (i.e. NTE5A to BT80 boxes) if you know what your doing.

Now all I have to wait for now is the compo team to phone smile

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 14-Nov-16 11:12:20
Print Post

Re: FVA at last :)

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I have not even got the wire between the old copper master and the ONTE. One is downstairs and the other up stairs and I did not need another internal wire. Our FVA was switched on within a couple of days of the FTTP installation.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Nov-16 11:25:06
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brightd:
I have not even got the wire between the old copper master and the ONTE. One is downstairs and the other up stairs and I did not need another internal wire. Our FVA was switched on within a couple of days of the FTTP installation.

Well the engineer did everything due to ours was a premium install so I was told.

Granted it was 2 months late, so that will be handled by the compo team.

Ours was delayed due to the issues we had at the start and all the fobbing off since end of 2011, also due to the chairman of BT and the CEO of BT Group being involved.
So I guess they was making sure stuff got done one at a time so that the least issues as possible could go wrong.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 14-Nov-16 11:31:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
So it just shows you BT don't always mind you touching the phone line beyond the master socket (i.e. NTE5A to BT80 boxes) if you know what your doing.

And with their approval - which yours was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Nov-16 12:30:02
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:

And with their approval - which yours was.

That's what I was getting at.

I am betting the outcome would of been different if my last job and the type of job it was were different.

But its not that difficult to terminate the copper line correctly back in the BT80.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Mon 14-Nov-16 21:20:33
Print Post

I doubt very much that you would have been given the go-ahead to mess with an incoming copper line.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Nov-16 09:01:35
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rastus:

I doubt very much that you would have been given the go-ahead to mess with an incoming copper line.

Well the engineer and BT was fine with me touching the copper line between the BT80 and the NTE5A Master Socket.

But I doubt I would be allowed to touch like you said the main black wire coming into my house.

Anyhow I have replaced the BT80 with a brand new one so that it could be terminated correctly and stop flapping about, there is no longer wires between the BT80 and the Master Socket and it now looks a lot neater than it did before.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to