General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-17 19:12:01
Print Post

Re: Openreach to rollout 3dB target SNRm for FTTC next year

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

What do you get them to do if it wasn't caused by DLM?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-17 19:17:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's a "Shrug the shoulders - that's what happens" sort of approach. "The user still has a service so what the heck?"

To use an Americanism, its all about stopping the truck rolls. Whatever approach is used in the field, the aim is to be able to shrug the shoulders apart from a limited, manageable, number of lines. We just need BT to pick an approach that works for us as well as them.

Vectoring, for example, would have been an approach that lets them shrug shoulders, but would probably have happier subs.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 16-Jan-17 21:00:33
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

nice timing from rev, its as if he read my post O_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFdZcEx8oog

Obviously there needs to be some kind of triage or procedure to put in place to keep things in check, but the current system of only checking for voice compliance is clearly not fit for purpose.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-17 10:50:38
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
nice timing from rev, its as if he read my post O_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFdZcEx8oog

Obviously there needs to be some kind of triage or procedure to put in place to keep things in check, but the current system of only checking for voice compliance is clearly not fit for purpose.

Yes but when an engineer goes out on an SFI job one of the tests they are required to do is an ADSL test on their handheld tester. This checks for errors and has a threshold, over which the test will be classed as a fail. So this notion that the engineer just goes out and only runs a Pair Quality Test (to check for SIN349) is incorrect.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 17-Jan-17 11:06:24
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

They rarely do more then a SIN test when visiting me. In and out in about 10 mins.

The only time's I have had more done is if there is a really big obvious problem with the line that they cannot pretend is not an issue or when I was a customer of aaisp and shaun typically ripped into BTw to ensure stuff got done. smile

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Jan-17 11:34:10
Print Post

What do you mean by an ADSL test please? There's a huge difference between the ADSL capability of a line and ADSL2/2+/VDSL2 requirements. I'm assuming the 28kbps requirement is dead, or is it?

We also used to get reports of an ADSL test fail simply meant the line was declared unfit for ADSL, permanently, after being used satisfactorily for years.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Tue 17-Jan-17 11:44:46
Print Post

Has the 3dB rollout taken place, my exchange Kingsmead was listed, but no improvement/increase here with speed.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Tue 17-Jan-17 11:50:57
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

This was a SFI visit and if so, which modules did the ISP book?
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-17 11:51:18
Print Post

It's just a test on the handheld tester. It connects to the ADSL for 4 minutes and checks for PPP session, sync speed and CRC, FEC issues etc. This then gets submitted when the job is closed down. It's mandatory and is one of the tests that the engineers are marked and graded on for SFI jobs.

There's also a completely different type of job where the engineer goes to the house, checks line meets SIN349, upgrades the socket if required and then listens for noise on the line. That's a different job type and isn't an SFI task. The CP can order whichever is appropriate, I assume.

Edited by Icaras (Tue 17-Jan-17 11:55:48)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jan-17 12:10:50
Print Post

Is the qualitative part of the test restricted to error rates?

Is there nothing that checks other signs of a dodgy line, or dodgy connection?
For example
- non standard patterns on hlog
- high noise from neighbours on QLN
- nasty variations to SNRM
- jumps in attenuation
- bad speed mismatch with attenuation
- throughput matching the sync speed
- packet loss
- latency
Pages in this thread: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to