General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 15-Nov-16 10:29:31
Print Post

Re: Openreach to rollout 3dB target SNRm for FTTC next year

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I didn't mean G.fast would be free.

If someone is on 80/20 and want more speed, then I imagine they'd be more likely to pay the premium for G.Fast than if they were already getting say 110mbps from an unrestricted VDSL connection.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Tue 15-Nov-16 10:53:00
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Would be nice if they gave use a free speed increase, change profile from 80/20 to 120/20, then you pay extra for 160/20 & upwards.
And also tweak lower profile say to 60/20 to help those on the lower speeds, I kmow a few who can't get 80/20, but could get around 57/15.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Nov-16 11:00:50
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

There is a potential scenario where a VDSL2 cab runs out of ports but G.fast ports are available, and they might move people across to free up VDSL2 capacity. Whether that would happen no idea but the wholesale and EOI requirements make that sort of thing harder

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 15-Nov-16 11:08:26
Print Post

Not a very good business model.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Nov-16 11:38:52
Print Post

I guess this could benefit me. My SNRM hovers around 5dB and my sync is over 4Mbps higher than my attainable, which is presumably based on 6dB.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 66999/19999 (banded) at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 15-Nov-16 11:46:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by lee111s:
I didn't mean G.fast would be free.

If someone is on 80/20 and want more speed, then I imagine they'd be more likely to pay the premium for G.Fast than if they were already getting say 110mbps from an unrestricted VDSL connection.

Well that's pretty much the way it's been on Virgin for a long time when they did free boosts but also offered higher tiers, If BT went that way I think it would be a very good business model to adopt
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Nov-16 11:47:53
Print Post

BT Consumer offer 55/10. Not as well as, but instead of, 40/10.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 15-Nov-16 11:52:49
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Virgin operate their own network AND bill end users.

Openreach is completely different.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Nov-16 12:03:14
Print Post

Openreach builds where its customers, the Communications Providers, want it to. Those Communications Providers being BT Wholesale, Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone. Plus a few small fry who do not use any of those.
BT is the largest fixed broadband provider in the UK, with a market share of 31 per cent. Sky and Virgin Media both have a market share of about 20 per cent, while TalkTalk has a 15 per cent share and EE has 3 per cent.
That's for mid-2015, according to the Financial Times.

BT Wholesale and Openreach are part of BT Group, and it is unrealistic to think pricing structures are not discussed at Group level, even if BT Wholesale is excluded from the discussion.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 15-Nov-16 12:36:48
Print Post

I stand by my point that it's very unlikely that VDSL2 on the Openreach network will go above 80/20.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to