General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 15-Nov-16 15:10:00
Print Post

Re: Openreach to rollout 3dB target SNRm for FTTC next year

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
There is a potential scenario where a VDSL2 cab runs out of ports but G.fast ports are available, and they might move people across to free up VDSL2 capacity. Whether that would happen no idea but the wholesale and EOI requirements make that sort of thing harder

That doesn't sound like something Openreach would do, unlikely I think.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Nov-16 21:57:58
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I can't even begin to describe how excited I am by this.

BT are really pushing the envelope here. State of the art a decade ago.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 15-Nov-16 22:40:37
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I am happy but also find it comical for the reasons you said.

Its took them about 4 years to rollout g.inp on hauwei from first vdsl cabinet deployment.
Its still not rolled out on ECI even tho g.inp has been around for almost a decade.

5 years into FTTC they decide they can do 3db profiles, and if ECI doesnt get a working g.inp this upcoming spring these profiles are likely to further widen the gap between ECI and hauwei on performance as its way easier to achieve a stable 3db with g.inp.

smile

Really fast decision making at BT towers smile

My line currently on 4.6db snrm has comparable error rates to 6.4db tho, so I wonder if I can hold out the sync till next march with further crosstalk dropping it to around 3db and BT drop my target snrm I can then keep my sync speed. Fun times smile

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 15-Nov-16 22:44:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smallal
(newbie) Tue 20-Dec-16 11:54:05
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Chatting to a Kellys engineer he told me the strategy for the 3db profile is so BT can offer a speed boost for infinity 2 customers following the upgrade to infinity 1. Scuttlebutt is it will be up to 100mb, which also means offering a speed directly comparable to Virgins package.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Dec-16 12:56:05
Print Post

[re: smallal] [link to this post]

I wouldn't treat a Kelly's 'Engineer' words as gospel because they're usually full of <insert expletive here>

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User witchunt
(member) Tue 20-Dec-16 16:39:00
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I wouldn't treat a Kelly's 'Engineer' words as gospel because they're usually full of <insert expletive here

Superb smile
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Dec-16 18:29:03
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nightglow:
Would be nice if they gave use a free speed increase, change profile from 80/20 to 120/20, then you pay extra for 160/20 & upwards.
And also tweak lower profile say to 60/20 to help those on the lower speeds, I kmow a few who can't get 80/20, but could get around 57/15.

Free upgrades are very difficult for Openreach. Would harm the business case for G.fast too. They are going to have a hard enough time trying to prise open the vice-like wallet of the average UK consumer to get then to part with more cash without reducing the difference between the products more.

Sky and TalkTalk would probably go to Ofcom with complaints that Openreach were overcharging for 80/20 if they were to offer more for free.

A non-starter I suspect.
Standard User JHo1
(member) Tue 20-Dec-16 18:30:34
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

I liked the quotation marks. Subtle. smile

John
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Tue 10-Jan-17 17:02:04
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

I'm still on my seemingly "stuck" 35M profile, it's been that way for around 9 months now, after a failed attempt to use a HH5a as VDSL modem, as well as trying a new router (which was better) got DLMs attention.

My link is solid now for 50 days -- it's only gone down through powercut or me moving kit (which I leave off for 30 mins+ now)

34999 7.7dB / 6995 7.4dB

I wonder if the shift to potential 3/4/5 dB will release me from 34999. So far I've not put the effort into raising a fault report/visit, and indeed whether I will or not may depend on how long the new virgin cable infrastructure being deployed here (cabs/cables all in in my road in mid Dec, no service yet) takes before it's offered and I go 200 or 300 Mbps.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Jan-17 17:11:27
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

In theory, the philosophy that Openreach ought to employ would be:
- reduce target SNRM
- monitor resulting error rates
- reduce further if error rate is green; stop reducing if error rate is amber; increase back if error rate is red.

Lines that have been banded from high error rates are unlikely to be able to stomach any reduction in target SNRM, as it would cause extra errors. In fact banding can be considered as an alternative method to increasing the target SNRM (in your case to 7.5dB).

IMHO, DLM has been particularly aggressive in use of banding in the last 6-8 months, and particularly lax about removal of banding. Openreach will need to rethink the impact of DLM and banding if dynamic SNRMs are to be useful to those lines.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to