General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Jan-17 16:04:38
Print Post

Re: Openreach to rollout 3dB target SNRm for FTTC next year

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
No Midlands exchanges on that list by the looks.

There is one! Wellington, Telford, West Midlands
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 12-Jan-17 16:12:27
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
No Midlands exchanges on that list by the looks.

There is one! Wellington, Telford, West Midlands

WRONG

That is most likely to be Wellington in Somerset

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User choppersrock
(learned) Thu 12-Jan-17 17:40:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Well I hope g.inp gets resolved in the spring on my eci cab then I might see the lower snr at some point here in Frome..

Sky Fibre Pro - Zyxel vmg8324 (v14 bridge mode) + PFSENSE 2.4.0 with ipv6 - ECI cab, G.INP disabled as of 8th April 2016

http://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk user upload ID skyECI

Edited by choppersrock (Thu 12-Jan-17 17:41:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Jan-17 19:33:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I wonder why the remote system would lower the SNR if the line in question already achieves max sync ?
Surely it would be better to have a little built in stability ?

The O&M system might reduce the target SNRM, but if the actual sync is already at the maximum then it wouldn't / couldn't reduce the actual SNRM to be less than the current 6dB.

Of course, if takeup slowly increases the crosstalk, that max attainable is going to come down anyway...
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Jan-17 19:35:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
There will be good reason and a boundary needs to be drawn ...

I just saw that BT are behind on getting to their phase 1 target in CDS - by around 10,000 premises.

Perhaps this just helps them bring a few more subscribers into SFBB range.

As it is a BDUK thing, then the intervention area has likely been done by Huawei cabinets anyway.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Fri 13-Jan-17 07:07:18
Print Post

[re: smallal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smallal:
Chatting to a Kellys engineer he told me the strategy for the 3db profile is so BT can offer a speed boost for infinity 2 customers following the upgrade to infinity 1. Scuttlebutt is it will be up to 100mb, which also means offering a speed directly comparable to Virgins package.

Now how the hell would a Kelly's employee know anything about BT strategy? Ignore him.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Fri 13-Jan-17 10:01:19
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
In reply to a post by smallal:
Chatting to a Kellys engineer he told me the strategy for the 3db profile is so BT can offer a speed boost for infinity 2 customers following the upgrade to infinity 1. Scuttlebutt is it will be up to 100mb, which also means offering a speed directly comparable to Virgins package.

Now how the hell would a Kelly's employee know anything about BT strategy? Ignore him.

Wait & seewink

Edited by Nightglow (Fri 13-Jan-17 10:01:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Jan-17 10:15:31
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Given a few more hours in a day will be able to create a special group for the postcodes believed to be involved, and can then do comparisons for FTTC speeds compared to say 12 months ago

On the CDS scenario, don't know the exact number of premises in contract paperwork as was signed, but in terms of delivery the fighting is going to be about the drop from VDSL2 coverage, to 24 Mbps or 30 Mbps thresholds. In what has been delivered 84% can get over 24 Mbps and a lower 81.8% on our figures. That said there is some FTTP still in build, and there has been some infill work. Will do an overall CDS report at weekend, as the commercial areas have an impact on the 90% target too.

What I will say is I am expecting CDS to fight tooth and nail over even a slight delay even if this just down to extra time needed for FTTP work. The journey so far has not been a friendly one.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Westyfield2
(newbie) Fri 13-Jan-17 13:19:35
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Interesting to see my Exchange listed in this.

I was the first to get FTTC when my cabinet was done:.
- Speedtest: 55Mb/s download and 17Mb/s upload
- IP Profile: 57.1Mb/s download and 20Mb/s upload.

After a few weeks
- Speedtest: 52Mb/s download
- IP Profile: 53.89Mb/s download
When ordering the speed estimate given by BT was 51.5Mb/s so still pretty much spot on.

Then on 3/10/2013 my neighbour got FTTC and gave me a big hit. In one day:
- IP Profile: 36.7Mb/s

Got a friendly OpenReach engineer to do me a DLM reset on 5/10/2013
- Speedtest: 39.3Mb/s
- IP Profile: 40.7Mb/s

ISP sent an OpenReach engineer round, but they weren’t much help. Basically all they kept saying was “tester says the line is running at 100%”, had no answer when I pointed out that it was 13Mb/s faster before, and didn’t have a clue what crosstalk was when I mentioned it.

Wind on 3 years to today, and the rollout of G.INP and so on have given me a slight gain. Now:
- Speedtest: 45.6Mb/s download and 11.5Mb/s upload

Also over the duration BT revised down the Wholesale checker results. It now lists
- Clean: 62.8-46.4Mb/s download and 18.5-12.54Mb/s upload
- Impacted: 47.4-25.5Mb/s download and 15.2-6.94Mb/s upload.

Will be intrigued to see what the lower target SNRm will do. Doesn’t seem that long ago we were able to set it ourselves with BeThere and the tweaking on the modem/routers!
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Fri 13-Jan-17 17:02:20
Print Post

[re: Westyfield2] [link to this post]

I don't think there's any training on crosstalk. I don't remember any.

So as you'll appreciate some engineers will know about it but many won't. Maybe there's no training because there's nothing an engineer can do about it?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to