General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mygri
(member) Wed 16-Nov-16 18:18:06
Print Post

Fibre Flavour(s)?

[link to this post]

Seeking guidance once again from the experts.

We've just agreed to buy a property in an area where fibre broadband is (readily?) available. It's a terraced dwelling, and the BT checker shows it to only have ADSL at present. (Address checker, just entering the postcode and selecting from the drop-down list; I don't have a phone number at present.)

The dwellings to the right generally show FTTP available, but the two to the left indicate FTTC and FTTP, as per this link; https://goo.gl/photos/qsPSgNE67JiXmhKN6 .

I didn't think this was possible - can someone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-16 18:44:37
Print Post

Re: Fibre Flavour(s)?

[re: Mygri] [link to this post]

WBC FTTP is available to very small number who can also get FTTC, generally its people with slow FTTC who get this and even then believe its perhaps 2000-3000 premises out of the almost 30 million in the UK.

That postcode is a very rare one fast FTTC and WBC FTTP also available, I've seen may half a dozen postcodes like that.

So yes possible but rare.

On the property with ADSL only, that could be a checker error, but given the difficulty of getting those fixed, I'd recommend looking at a different address. Plenty of Cornwall with GEA-FTTP (WBC-FTTP) of option (30% of premises)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Nov-16 20:43:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Apparently you can use this form now to report potential errors in the checker - someone posted it on Kitz recently

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mygri
(member) Wed 16-Nov-16 20:48:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Andrew.

We've been trying to buy a house in the road for a while, and I previously surveyed the area back in 2014. At that time, the two houses now showing as FTTP & C were only showing FTTC availability then, while the one we're now buying showed FTTP only. As you say, the current ADSL only status is almost certainly an error, and I shall be on to Superfast Cornwall to see if they can get OR to update the database.

I'll be interested to see whether we'll join the 'all options' rarities to the left, or the FTTP only group to the right. (or whether we'll be left in the ADSL cold... )
Standard User Mygri
(member) Wed 16-Nov-16 20:57:06
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Hi RONSKI,

Thanks for the link; it appears to be for a property you own or occupy so I'll have to hold off until (if?) we take possession, but Superfast Cornwall may be able to get some action in the meantime. They were previously very helpful with a fibre access problem I was facing at a different building a couple of years ago... we'll see.
  Print Thread

Jump to