General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sergiup
(newbie) Tue 22-Nov-16 15:31:08
Print Post

FTTC on EO only lines

[link to this post]

Hello folks; I'm trying to get someone in Central London onto a decent connection, but besides dedicated ethernet installs or BT EFM, there seems to be no chance of FTTC. It's one of the (seemingly) many EO lines, and the checker (here) only says:
Exchange status: Fibre enabled
Cabinet number: -
Technology: Pending - EO Line

I believe the current regs don't allow FTTC DSLAMs in the exchanges so they're stuck, but does anyone have any idea if BT are actually actively addressing this at all? It's just frustrating - despite being barely a few minutes walk from Tottenham Court Road, they're stuck on ADSL2+ or other far more expensive options.

Thank you!
Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Tue 22-Nov-16 15:37:02
Print Post

Re: FTTC on EO only lines

[re: sergiup] [link to this post]

There were a fair few EO lines near us which were upgraded as part of the Northumberland BDUK project.

Two cabinets were installed near the exchange and all EO lines were moved over to these.

I don't know whether BT are doing these network rearrangements commercially though, or whether they are BDUK only.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Nov-16 15:49:28
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

Commercially cannot think of any, the ones that have happened in London are usually via the Community Fibre scheme.

The same thing of adding an all in one, or PCP/VDSL2 pair of cabinets is done in urban areas. So its possible but usually higher costs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(member) Tue 22-Nov-16 15:51:43
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

I believe they are doing some as part of BTs superfast extension programme in London, particulary around Bermondsy. Dont know if there are any plans for the OPs exchange area though.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:10:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

there are some as pert of London extension programme in Bermondsey but they 4/5 km from exchange

Imost EO lines will be short in no docks exchanges as exchange are tends to be quite defined (iwrth the odd exzception)
Standard User sergiup
(newbie) Wed 23-Nov-16 07:44:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you all! From the rest of the research I've managed to do, seems you're right - it'll most likely be a few years before FTTC and/or something better are widely available around central London. I'm going to take a look at Relish as well, though I don't expect it to be a LOT better; I've got hopes that the upload might be more than ~1.5Mbps at least though.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-16 08:28:35
Print Post

[re: sergiup] [link to this post]

If your neighbours feel the same, look into a community funded partnership.
Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Wed 23-Nov-16 17:05:02
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

How successful community funded projects have been in inner London? I have read of one.

For me (3Mb/s download, Rotherhithe) the problem is, I don't know most of my neighbours in the same, small building and no one in the neighbouring ones. Setting up a community project involving hundreds of flats, a quarter of which are council estates, a significant portion of people being tenants moving in and out etc. does just not seem possible. Getting anyone commit funds to something that happens in 18 months or so, is next to impossible, and if I understand this right, in London money would need to come from residents' pockets as BDUK funding is not available.

Community projects require a community to begin with, and in many London post codes it just does not exist. Which leaves EO part of London in a limbo as Openreach will not do anything without a community project or public funding, and neither is a realistic alternative.
Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Wed 23-Nov-16 17:10:05
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

I'm not sure about others but Relish is at least where I live ridiculously slow on peak times. Generally, when I would like to download an episode of my favourite tv series around 9pm, Relish gives 0,2Mb/s - 1,5Mb/s. Early morning it is a completely different story and a decent speed.

If this is endemic and not just related to me, Relish isn't really a viable alternative. 3Mb/s ADSL is slower than what I had 15 years ago but at least it is consistent.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Nov-16 18:38:15
Print Post

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hvis42:
Community projects require a community to begin with, and in many London post codes it just does not exist.

There's nothing like an emotional common cause for build a community though...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to