General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Nov-16 13:30:22
Print Post

Modem/router for FTTC dualstack IPv6/v4

[link to this post]

I've done some searches on the forums but not found much recent advice. I also made the following post in the DSL Hardware forum, which once I have posted this I shall ask to be locked.
A bit ago various Billions were getting good reports, less so ASUS and I ended up unhappy with my ASUS RT-N66U. I forget what went wrong but I ended up back using my Plusnet 482N. The modem in each case being an unlocked HG612.

I'm still using the HG612 with a ZyXel VMG1312-B10A, supplied pre-configured by AAISP. I discovered soon after migrating to them using it that I wasn't getting a WAN IP address allocated by it, despite having a /48 on my account.

I had far more important things on my mind, and the IPv4 connection has run almost flawlessly, so I did nothing about it.

On Sunday I did in fact have an online chat with AAISP support, and discovered that this is a known fault with that router, and that there is little prospect of it being fixed. I was not right chuffed!

So I'd like now to get myself sorted out as per the Subject. When I was on the Plusnet trial I had dualstack running perfectly, until they started installing gateways that didn't do IPv6, (??? crazy or what?), and it became very hard to avoid being on one of those.

Any recommendations please? 5Ghz WiFi not a top priority though welcome. Huawei 288 cabinet. If the router also has a WAN port that could be useful if I find the modem component not as good as the HG612, but I wouldn't put it as an essential.
That forum seems fairly moribund, and I think most discussion on this subject has been in this one. So I'm trying again here. I received two useful replies, so copying them to here a bit lower to save you having to read through other stuff there.

The thread rapidly went into stuff about three-box solutions with Raspberry Pi boxes and pfSense kit and so on, in which I am not interested.

The replies you need to see:-
caffn8me
The Draytek 2760 and 2860 series routers have VDSL2 modems, are Openreach MCT approved and support simultaneous IPv4 and IPv6 with all firmwares. They're rock steady too.

You could purchase the 2760 without wifi and use the existing ASUS in access point mode.

Michael_Chare
Listen to the talks at the recent IPV6 conference. I think it was the BT person who mentioned something about Netgear and some other routers which customers have connected to their network. He also said that home routers were the hardest part of the network to get right.
I thank them both.

The 2860 price made me blink, I admit. The 2760 might technically suit but still leaves me with a two-box solution. Which is not a major drawback, having had such for at least five years. Michael's suggestion I haven't yet followed up as I might have to read a lot to find the references he makes and the topic is mainly about IPv6 itself. Plus I don't see a BT speaker. I'm assuming he means this conference.

I'd appreciate some views on other kit I could look into, thanks.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 25-Nov-16 17:23:38
Print Post

Re: Modem/router for FTTC dualstack IPv6/v4

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It was Neil J. McRae of BT at this IET conference about 4 and 1/2 minutes from start. His email address is on the slides.

He just said they had customers with Netgear and Draytek routers working with IPV6 as well as their own hubs.

He might well respond to an email if your wanted to ask what models worked best.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Nov-16 17:28:00
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks. I have to go out soon but will check that out tomorrow smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Nov-16 21:04:48
Print Post

I know that my Billion 6300+HG612 supports dual-stack IPv6 and is stable while doing so. I went through three or four routers before I found one that worked properly. But that was back when I was with IDNet. I've been with Plusnet for two and a half years now and they still don't support IPv6. By the time they do (if they ever figure out how) my kit will probably have died of old age and been replaced.

I would be reasonably confident in saying that any Billion solution should work. I very nearly bought a new 8800 r2 last month when I thought I might be going back to IDNet.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 25-Nov-16 21:06:24)

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Sat 26-Nov-16 19:51:38
Print Post

My setup (also on AAISP) is an HG612 and an EdgeRouter ER-LIte 3. Wireless in the house is via a single Unifi AP-AC-Lite, with the option of adding a second one as my extension completes. I'm running the Unifi control software on a Raspberry Pi.

I was using a Cisco WRT-320N as an AP before the Unifi and I'm still using one in the garden office.

In my view, it's better to separate the router and WAP functions as this allows more flexibility in the AP positioning but YMMV...

No issues with dual stack IPv4/v6, in fact I've no idea which is being used most of the time.

Edited by ferretuk (Sat 26-Nov-16 19:57:05)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 26-Nov-16 21:02:07
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Thanks, yes, but I'm partly wanting to see if more modern modems in the combo boxes are better than the dated HG612 smile. I see several posters getting better speeds after replacing theirs.

Just buying a modem doesn't solve the IPv6 problem.

There's only me using the system, with wireless laptop, occasionally another laptop that is wired sitting next to the router, plus iPad, mobile phone with occasionally another but both normally doing nothing in particular - mainly sync'ng google diary and DropBox across everything, and wireless printer rarely used.

So overall it's no big deal. But I do want to get dualstack smile.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 27-Nov-16 03:50:52
Print Post

so if I understand you right the reason you looking for a new router (not modem) is because the zyxel doesnt have its own wan ipv6, which I guess you want to use with tbb pings.

I got a gut feeling what might be the issue, I found out with sky's ipv6 system, the router doesnt get assigned a wan ipv6 address directly, instead after its been allocated a prefix from the isp, it then allocates itself a ipv6 from that prefix. So my guess is the zyxel isnt doing that second stage.

A few of us on kitz are investing in pfsense boxes, ronski managed to find a 4 port one for a nice price, mine is 2 ports but I am considering adding another 2 via a mini pcie addon card.

Asus routers work dual stack, but the success will be highly dependent on the firmware used on it, asus ipv6 code changes have been really crazy from one firmware to the next.

I wouldnt worry about the vdsl modem, just run it bridged with the router you choose behind it.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 27-Nov-16 03:53:21)

Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Nov-16 09:23:31
Print Post

Hi Bob. Not sure if I can help, because as you know, my AA Zyxel is totally unstable on my line, whereas my TP-Link TD-W9980 is rock solid 10 Mbps slower, but still no IPv6 reported on test sited despite set up in the router.
Now at long last the point of this post. You saw my Zyxel getting a 10/10 full iPv6 report from test sites as initially supplied, so it can do IPv6. But after a re-sync/update it no longer can. While digging around on our AA control page, I have found a button to click to reset or re-order router settings, though you may need to be in one box mode, as the latest comment on my page, is "Sync Pass:GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001 GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem." - I take this as a reference to using my TP-Link and not the Zyxel alone. I have asked in the latest contact if I re-install the ZyXel, can they come in and set it up properly again and block G.INP which is sending it crazy. Sorry if this waffle is OT, but thought the reset and reorder settings button might help you re IPv6.
See the difference. Blue line was a try with OR modem and retail Homehub4R - Could not hack it at all! http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/ee6f211511a...

Edited by professor973 (Sun 27-Nov-16 12:54:30)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Nov-16 11:04:12
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

You're right about my main requirement Chrysalis smile, but I do also want to see if the modem could be bettered. Things have surely moved on in five years of UK mass market usage.

I may try removing the HG612 and putting the ZyXel into bridge mode with the ASUS behind it. That did the dual stack fine on the PN trial. I forget what failed though - I took it out and reverted to the PN 482N.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 27-Nov-16 11:07:49)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Nov-16 11:14:11
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I came across an AAISP setting yesterday Alan that lets you download your AAISP router setup. It's in the online router settings area rather than the GUI settings, so you can change their end and download it. Thus preventing any download they make overwriting your changes. Unless they deliberately change those of course.

No reason you shouldn't be able to download it "as is", that I could see, effectively perhaps a "near-factory" reset. Might be worth a try for you.

Edit - just realised that download feature is what you were referring to. More of a "push" job of course.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 27-Nov-16 11:17:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to