General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dsmith1001
(newbie) Tue 29-Nov-16 12:52:36
Print Post

Enable cabinet FTTC

[link to this post]

Our company is on an industrial estate in Exeter.
Exchange SOWTON is served by Cabinet 24
Our exchange has been fibre enabled for a considerable time but our cabinet is not. I recently asked engineers installing a lease fibre line along my road if the cabinet would be enabled soon. They told me there was no chance until they had got sufficient businesses to pay for lease lines instead, cynical I know.
My speed is usually less than 5 Mbs, but I do not need the expensive advantage of a lease line, just a reasonably fast connection.
How can I persuade Openreach to consider an upgrade to the cabinet?
My providers tell me they are helpless and we are at the mercy of Openreach.

Catch 22 on cabinet 24!!

David
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Nov-16 13:39:36
Print Post

Re: Enable cabinet FTTC

[re: dsmith1001] [link to this post]

If you can get people together in the community to help part fund it then you could work with the BT Communities team to get it enabled. However, if you can't then you are down to whether BT consider it commercially viable and your post suggests that at the moment they don't.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Nov-16 13:54:56
Print Post

More leased lines decreases changes of VDSL2, i.e. those with need of leased line quality guarantees would not get those from a VDSL2 service generally.

5 Mbps sounds as if something is wrong if on cab 24 as its very close to the exchange and 10 to 19 Mbps is more what you should expect, so time to dig out the ADSL/ADSL2+ stats.

Nine other cabinets were done via the CDS project, but phase I is coming to an end, and BT does not have a phase II contract, so over to the council to explain what the options will be.

If you want Openreach, and not Virgin Media or someone else then there is the community funding route if you can get enough local interest.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User balky12
(newbie) Tue 29-Nov-16 14:16:34
Print Post

I have similar issues on Exchange LAINDON Cabinet 35. Says fibre enabled but I am however not able to get fibre. Living in a new build estate with a few hundred houses. People on roads less than 100m away have fibre and access to BT infinity.

Every time I get in touch to enquire it is a different reason. Exchange is full. No viable solution to upgrade cabinet. I am on a cabinet that can't actually provide fibre. I'm not exactly clued up on the whole thing. But only being able to get a relatively unstable 7mb connection in 2016 in basically a London suburb is shocking. new builds without FTTP is bad, without FTTC is unforgiving. The Chancellor talks of the UK having 300mb and 5g to the masses in the near future?

Can anyone here tell me what the deal is with that cabinet?

All I know is that if I give them something in the region of £30k all my problems will go away...

Daylight robbery.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Nov-16 14:25:09
Print Post

[re: balky12] [link to this post]

The cabinet is not fibre enabled and never has been, its irrelevant really as to whether the exchange is enabled, and that seems to be confusing you.

Not sure anyone would really call Basildon a London suburb.

So the deal is this...not a commercial cabinet, not done via the BDUK Essex project yet, but some other cabs were on the exchange. So it may be that as the Superfast Essex Projects shifts into the next phase you might get lucky.

If the cabinet is overlapped by Virgin Media then no public money is available and they may be an option, i.e. request them to expand commercially into your street.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Nov-16 14:30:30
Print Post

Your cabinet has not been upgraded to fibre, its your exchange that is fibre ready.
Exchange name: Laindon
Exchange status: Fibre enabled
Cabinet number: 35
Technology: -

And at this current time, I cannot see anything happening.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Tue 29-Nov-16 15:32:27
Print Post

Hmm

the engineer will have no view around commercial for enablement of any cab and the comment around sufficient businesses to pay for lease lines instead is unhelpful

sowton was never part of the Openreach commercial programme and I assume the cab was not value for money fo BDUk Connecting Devon and Somerset programme which is why it has never been enabled

if the there was a managing agent who was in interesting in gap funding the cab they could contact ngb@openreach.co.uk
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Tue 29-Nov-16 15:35:42
Print Post

Developer asked for Copper only ofr that site
  Print Thread

Jump to