General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MaryHinge
(member) Tue 29-Nov-16 19:27:58
Print Post

Openreach Connectorised FTTP video

[link to this post]

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I don't recall seeing it before. Nothing new really but it contains glimpses of the connectorised equipment etc.

https://youtu.be/ouSB_3c_fm8
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Nov-16 23:32:31
Print Post

Re: Openreach Connectorised FTTP video

[re: MaryHinge] [link to this post]

Yeah I saw that a little while back.

I like the new modular DP hardware on the pole and in the chamber.

Not too sure on removing the need for the outside CSP box. Having the fibre go from the new DP up the pole or in the chamber all the way into the home is a bad move I say.

What happens later on if the fibre cable breaks outside where it enters the home (BT are responsible for this side), BT will have to install / blow in a complete new set of fibres, where as with a CSP its just the new pre made fibre cable that needs to be replaced.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 02:37:58
Print Post

s'Funny. I saw a version of that video a while ago - I recognise the bit where the van drives from the exchange, and parks by the church, and they start work by that "Clophill" sign.

But they didn't include any of the information about the actual nodes or the new connection blocks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MaryHinge
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 07:56:33
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

One thing I've never been certain of is are both ends of the final dropwire connectorised and available in varying lengths?

If so I assume they just drill a larger diameter hole into the building to accommodate the connector at the customer end.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Nov-16 09:01:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by MaryHinge:
One thing I've never been certain of is are both ends of the final dropwire connectorised and available in varying lengths?

If so I assume they just drill a larger diameter hole into the building to accommodate the connector at the customer end.

Are you referring to the cable from the CSP to the ONT?
If so its a pre-made cable that is fed from inside the home and out through the drilled hole in the wall and then cut to length and spliced to the main drop / blown fibre cable.

If you are referring to what is in the video, its just tubing with a metal wire down one side for strength and the fibre is then blown through it.

Also the drop / blown fibre cable is in fact 4 smaller fibres, which I was told is for extra services etc.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Nov-16 09:04:57
Print Post

I think he was on about the new connectorised stuff .... and his question is one that had crossed my mind too.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Nov-16 09:16:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I think he was on about the new connectorised stuff .... and his question is one that had crossed my mind too.

Yeah, I thought that too after posting.

That really is a good question...
I am assuming at the new DP end the connector is just glue moulded to the fibre cable that gets blown down the tubing and the same is down inside the home.

For it to hold the fibre the glue would have to go inside the tubing and the connector.
I know the actual underground cables is the same thickness as what is installed here.

Like I said in my first reply here, I can see it becoming an issue if there is a break in the cable later on, requiring a complete new install.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Nov-16 10:06:15
Print Post

The end going into the house has no connector on, and is mechanically spliced onto a connector once in the right position indoors.

Have a photo somewhere but if I recall not one of my best ones see http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/wp-content/uploads/20... that is the end that goes into home, the black is stripped off once inside the building to leave a white outer.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Nov-16 10:42:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oh, so its actually different fibre cable and not the same as what I have where they install the over head drop down tubing and then blow the fibre containing the 4 smaller fibres due the tube.

Going by that image it seems that actual fibre is thinker than what we used at work 20 to 25 years ago when we taught the BT Engineers back in the 90's smile

I assume it doesn't require the metal wire that comes moulded in the tubing like with the old way.

At least the actual fibre is thicker, so it should be stronger, how well does it bend?
I know the 3 fibres I have was very bendy going by the chunk that they cut off.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Nov-16 10:59:59
Print Post

Its EZ bend type radius so around skirting etc is fine

Fibre will bend further without breaking, but causes light refraction issues hence minimum bend radius specs for different cable types.

No metal wire, but Kevlar for strength, its good for a 100lb pull weight if I recall. Somewhere have some more shots from Openreach HQ where they have samples out on the side in the demo room.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to