General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 20:32:00
Print Post

Is there any way of finding out WHY I can't order fibre?

[link to this post]

I've put in an order for fibre broadband for a charity in Cirencester (GL7 1HY, located about 30 metres from cabinet 7). The availability checker says we should get between 62.9 and 80 Mbps download data rates. However, I am told we can only ger ADSL2+, with no explanation of why we can't get fibre.

Is there any way of finding out why?
Standard User delone
(experienced) Wed 30-Nov-16 21:46:56
Print Post

Re: Is there any way of finding out WHY I can't order fibre?

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

Your post code is served by 2 cabinets and a small number of Exchange Only (EO) lines. Most people in that post code are indeed on cabinet 7. If you are on an EO line this would explain why you can't get fibre as they are 'incompatible'.

If you go to https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and put in your phone number or address (don't use just the post code checker) it will confirm which cabinet you are on. If it doesn't say then I'm afraid you are on an EO line.

Del
Standard User vit0
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 21:47:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
I've put in an order for fibre broadband for a charity in Cirencester (GL7 1HY, located about 30 metres from cabinet 7). The availability checker says we should get between 62.9 and 80 Mbps download data rates. However, I am told we can only ger ADSL2+, with no explanation of why we can't get fibre.

Is there any way of finding out why?

Who is telling you that you cannot order? Have you tried different ISPs? For example Sky told me I couldn't order FTTC through them, but all other ISPs were fine.

Lee

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User John_Gray
(member) Thu 01-Dec-16 11:16:24
Print Post

[re: vit0] [link to this post]

I've used the Address Checker - that's how I know the building uses cabinet 7.
Are you saving that with cabinets (both telephone and fibre) within 30 metres we could have an exchange-only line?

We have to order from BT, I'm afraid - no option.
Standard User sergiup
(newbie) Thu 01-Dec-16 11:33:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
I've used the Address Checker - that's how I know the building uses cabinet 7.
Are you saving that with cabinets (both telephone and fibre) within 30 metres we could have an exchange-only line?

We have to order from BT, I'm afraid - no option.

So have you tried putting your address in the checkers for other ISPs - for example Zen, Plusnet/BT? Are they all saying you can only get ADSL2+ and not 'Fibre'?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Dec-16 11:34:01
Print Post

Its possible, but if for the property number and postcode the BT Wholesale checker says you are on cabinet 7 then should be available.

Would need to know the exact address and do multiple checks to try and figure out if this might be a mistake, or some other reason. Essentially what the provider should be doing on your behalf.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Thu 01-Dec-16 14:29:59
Print Post

[re: sergiup] [link to this post]

The whole point of this is that the checker says we CAN get VDSL2, at the speeds I quoted - it's only when we put in the order that they will only supply an ADSL2+ line, but without any explanation why.

The only "help" I've had is the suggestion that after the line is installed we ask for an upgrade to VDSL2...
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Dec-16 14:43:07
Print Post

What does this checker say?

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s...

Do not use the post code to verify.
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Thu 01-Dec-16 16:01:57
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Between 70.9 and 80 Mbps down...
Standard User sergiup
(newbie) Thu 01-Dec-16 16:36:59
Print Post

Ah right, I see what you mean, apologies! I would pick a decent provider with techs that know what they're doing, and actually give them a call before ordering; they should be able to figure out exactly what's going on smile and as Andrew said, the provider should be untangling the mess on your behalf once you've agreed to get VDSL. In theory...

Edited by sergiup (Thu 01-Dec-16 16:38:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to