General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Dec-16 15:56:29
Print Post

Modem/router for FTTC dualstack IPv6/v4 on BT

[link to this post]

Not wishing to hi-jack RobertoS' thread I feel it perhaps better to start one of my own. Can anyone recommend a combined dual stack router/modem that is known to connect using IPv6 on a BT Consumer VDSL2 service other than BT's SmartHub?

I can connect using IPv6 using BT's SmartHub which connects without problem but for a number of reasons don't want to use this device. I'm currently using a TP-LINK VR2600 and as others have already mentioned this can't connect using IPv6. I'm connected to a Huawei AIO cab so am looking for a device with a compatible modem which I think eliminates Netgear Nighthawks.
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Dec-16 17:43:54
Print Post

Re: Modem/router for FTTC dualstack IPv6/v4 on BT

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Just had success using a Fritzbox 7390 on the latest firmware, which allowed the internal modem to handle everything without the need to be behind the OR modem. AA supplied zyXel router could not handle the line and my TP-Link though fast and solid, could not browse IPv6 sites.
http://postimg.org/image/9ssisyzqz/
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 01-Dec-16 21:23:57
Print Post

See a later post by professor763. He's dropped the Fritz box at the moment.

I can get the AA-supplied ZyXel seeming to give dualstack despite the statements all over the place that it won't, but not a static IPv6 address. It changes every few hours.

As of a couple of hours ago I'm using my HG612 into my (for some reason I forget I ditched when I was on Plusnet FTTC) ASUS RT-N66U. Again no real trouble except the same thing - set up for static IPv6 as per the instructions and it changed address after a few minutes. I'll see how I get on.

Neither this nor the ZyXel give me the requested static IP address though. Very strange.

I may end up with the ZyXel in bridge mode to the ASUS as it looks to want to give me 6-7MBps more than the HG612. Except I seem to have 60Mbps banding frown.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15448kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Dec-16 21:35:31
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Update - As Bob said above, the Fritzbox suddenly would not handle the connection.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Even when it was, dropped packets galore.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/7f11d5673b7...

Back to TP-Link stability and forgetting about flaky IPv6.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Edited by professor973 (Thu 01-Dec-16 21:37:22)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 00:57:12
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Thanks to both Alan and Bob.

I find it hard to understand that with all the years since IPv6 standards were finalised why most large UK ISPs have been so slow in adopting IPv6 and most major hardware players haven't as yet made available hardware that works with ISPs such as BT.

It appears that for now I have the choice of using BT's SmartHub if I want IPv6 or sticking with my VR2600 which better suits my setup but lacks working IPv6.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Dec-16 02:47:56
Print Post

Well AVM say the FRITZ!Box 3390 supports IPv6:
Ready for the future with IPv6

In addition to IPv4, FRITZ!Box supports the IPv6
Internet protocol. IPv6 makes existing services
more convenient and simplifies a host of new
applications, so you can rest assured that you’re
ready for the latest technologies.

Not tried mine yet, just waiting for my Smart Hub to get the latest firmware, once that's done I will try the 3390 on our FTTP connection via WAN Mode, I know I might loose speed due to it not able to handle the speed, but it would show if the IPv6 works or not.

*** update ***
I forgot to say my brother uses his 3390 at his place on his FTTC with Zen and he has no issues with IPv6.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 02-Dec-16 02:50:14)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 03:15:34
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Well AVM say the FRITZ!Box 3390 supports IPv6
As does TP-LINK in respect of a number of their products including the VR2600 which I am using. What I would be interested to know is whether the Fritz!Box 3390 supports BT Consumer's implementation of IPv6 so look forward to hearing how it works wrt to IPv6 on your BT connection.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Dec-16 03:20:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:
Well AVM say the FRITZ!Box 3390 supports IPv6
As does TP-LINK in respect of a number of their products including the VR2600 which I am using. What I would be interested to know is whether the Fritz!Box 3390 supports BT Consumer's implementation of IPv6 so look forward to hearing how it works wrt to IPv6 on your BT connection.

Agreed, just have to wait now for the firmware on the Smart Hub to be updated and then pick a time when nobody here is using the connection tongue

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Fri 02-Dec-16 09:30:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Neither this nor the ZyXel give me the requested static IP address though. Very strange.
Not entirely sure, but isn't this the expected behaviour (on the WAN side)?

My router gets a WAN address outside my /48 (and also an FE80 link local address) and the router presents my requested /64 on the LAN side. I've set the router LAN port to be the first address in the /64 and use this for my BQM graph.

Are you saying that you expect the WAN side to be static, or that you can't make the LAN side static?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Dec-16 09:56:19
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Now I've inadvertently hijacked MCM's BT-specific thread.

All I want is to run the tbb BQM on IPv6. I have tried setting two different routers as per AAISP instructions and the address still changes every few hours.

I appreciate your help, but please can you reply in my thread smile? I'd like to know how you define the "first" address, which I think I have tried, and why you say on the LAN, not the WAN.

As has been said, different ISPs have different implementations.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59998/15108kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to