General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User airebase
(newbie) Fri 02-Dec-16 18:31:54
Print Post

Only house in postcode where fibre not available.

[link to this post]

I have been trying to get BT to upgrade me to fibre broadband for the last three months, but they keep telling me it is not available. My neighbour has it and on checking the Openreach web site, I find that everyone in my postcode (BD22 0LJ) can get broadband, except me (Highfield Farm). The message says that the cabinet is enabled, but I am not able to order fibre just yet. Distance from the cabinet is not an issue, as we are the second nearest to the cabinet. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Many thanks.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Dec-16 05:13:29
Print Post

Re: Only house in postcode where fibre not available.

[re: airebase] [link to this post]

Your address is down as an unserved premises, which is down to you are too far from your fibre cabinet.

It doesn't matter how close you are from the cabinet walk distance, its all down to how long the cables are and how they are routed.

Going by the speeds the others get on that post code, then its all down to you are just too far from the cabinet.

You will see the exact same thing said to you when you use the checker at openreach:
Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.

This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options.

I did some checks and have the following:

HAWS BARN		- FTTC on Cabinet 14,	2.2 - 8.3 Mbps  
HAWS FARM		- FTTC on Cabinet 14,	1.8 - 7.2 Mbps
HIGHER WINDHILL FARM	- FTTC on Cabinet 14,	1.1 - 2.2 Mbps
HIGHFIELD FARM		- FTTC on Cabinet 14,	(too far)
SKYTHORNS FARM		- FTTC on Cabinet 14,	1.2 - 4.5 Mbps

LOWER STUBBINS FARM	- FTTC on Cabinet 3,	6.6 - 18 Mbps

We can ignore LOWER STUBBINS FARM due to its on a different cabinet than the rest.

I am also assuming by the speeds that your neighbours either side of / or close to you are possibly HIGHER WINDHILL FARM and SKYTHORNS FARM, is this correct ?

TBH, those other four lines on your cabinet are lucky they can even order FTTC with those speeds, I have seen areas with higher speeds be refused fibre due to the distance.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Dec-16 08:05:29
Print Post

To reinforce Paul's statement of it depends on how the phone cables are routed, which may be radically different.

The 2014 FTTC is 10 Metres from my front door; and I can see inside it from our lounge window, when its doors are opened. So my house is the clear-cut nearest in conventional terms.

The 1967 PCP is 40 Metres away, across a minor dead-end road; and my house is in the second-nearest group to that PCP.

The cable length from the FTTC via the PCP to my house is about 300 Metres, 1967 cable ducts on a greenfield site.

PCP to house established when helping a PO lad clear a fault away back in dial-up days.

Thus on the estate, given the above geographic locations, my group of houses has the lowest forecast speeds on the estate.

---------

Compounding that, a later greenfield estate fed from the same PCP and FTTC and significantly further away, on the other side of the local main road, has higher/faster forecast speeds.

---------

The actual speeds I get are around 37/9 Mbps, on a 40/10 contract, so I am happy in that respect.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-Dec-16 13:02:17
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yeap at those distances its on the edge of not being offered, or even worth the upgrade unless ADSL speeds are sub 0.25 Mbps currently.

So happy to say its just variations in cable quality/distances and would not be surprised if others once live find the speeds are a lot slower.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Dec-16 13:21:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Exactly what I thought.

When I did the checks for the 5 addresses on cabinet 14 their ADSLx speeds wasn't that much slower than the speeds it says for FTTC (basically their ADSL2+ was 1 Mbps with a range of 1 - 3.5 Mbps).

So if it was me I would stay on ADSLx, unless FTTC was cheaper and the speeds listed was correct or better, then I would got for fibre.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 03-Dec-16 13:25:08)

Standard User airebase
(newbie) Sat 03-Dec-16 13:56:54
Print Post

Hi Paul, many thanks for the information, it is very useful.

On his speed checker, the neighbour at Haws Barn tells me he regularly gets up to 9 Mbps, which agrees with your figures. Incidentally, I currently get about 0.7 Mbps.

The line from cabinet 14 comes up Cowling Hill underground. There is an underground junction at the bottom of our field which supplies both Haws Barn (20 metres) and Haws Farm (30 metres). The line continues in a straight line underground for 50 metres to Highfield and then underground for 140 metres to the top of my drive, where it travels on poles along the road for 350 metres to Skythorns. From here it goes down another drive for about 380 metres to Higher Windhill.

My assumption is that I should be getting about the same as our nearest neighbours, Haws Barn and Haws Farm and much better than Skythorns and Higher Windhill.

Interestingly, whenever BT engineers have called in the past, they have commented that the head office diagrams do not reflect the actual routing of the cables. The last engineer to call, said he would get them changed, but I don't know if this has been done. Could this have a bearing on the matter?

Regards,

John.
Standard User airebase
(newbie) Sat 03-Dec-16 14:12:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I accept that because of the distance from the cabinet, we won't get anywhere near the advertised speed, but I currently get 0.7 Mbps and my nearest neighbour, who is on fibre, gets up to 9 Mbps, so even if I only get 7 Mbps, that is a ten fold increase.
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Sat 03-Dec-16 15:08:25
Print Post

suggest don't use the postode checker use the tel number as that will be far more accurate
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-Dec-16 15:29:43
Print Post

This up to 9 Mbps is that the estimate or a speed test result?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-Dec-16 15:31:00
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Not always the case, I see a good number of phone errors that get pushed through for correction.

The clever bit is gathering all the data and not hearsay to try and figure out if worth putting forward a correction request.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to