General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User richardwhit
(newbie) Fri 02-Dec-16 20:02:59
Print Post

Cabinet just enabled for FTTC, terrible speeds

[link to this post]

Hi,

After being teased by BT for a couple of years, my cab was finally upgraded to FTTC recently. Me and one of my neighbours immediately ordered Plusnet's 80Mbps service. Both of us were skeptical we would receive anywhere near that speed given the distance to the cab (~1 mile as the crow flies) but thought it would be fun to see what we got. I was hoping for around 14Mbps but have peaked out at about 4.5Mbps with my neighbour managing ~8Mbps.

Cue around 5 weeks of phonecalls to Plusnet, a couple of no shows from Openreach, and a couple of master socket replacements, we're not much further along. Plusnet have offered to release my neighbour from his contract but I am pushing them to escalate my issue with Openreach, whatever that may achieve.

For information, we live in a semi-rural area in a small community of 11 converted barns. A number of the other neighbours are waiting to see what experience me and the aforementioned neighbour get before deciding if they'll take the punt.

At this point I am not hopeful that Plusnet will be able to do much more, I suspect there is some issue upstream of the farm between us and the cab which I doubt Openreach will remedy. Although there must be a specific issue affecting me given my neighbour gets nearly twice what I do (again have raised that but the openreach engineer that attended would not check the ducts outside for example since he said he wasn't an underground engineer).

I'm wondering what other avenues are left to us? All I can think of is that we will have to wait until we get FTTP rolled out, which may be never, or group together and buy a leased line which will probably be too expensive.

Are there any ways I can force Openreach to accept there is a problem they need to remedy (don't laugh, just asking)? Or can we band together to get FTTP on demand etc.?

Any thoughts appreciated!
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 21:39:43
Print Post

Re: Cabinet just enabled for FTTC, terrible speeds

[re: richardwhit] [link to this post]

Out of curiosity why did you order the 80Mbps sine at a mile there was no chance that you would see anything like that speed or was it because you wanted the faster upload speed?

Using your telephone number or, if that fails, your full address rather than just the postcode what speeds does the BT Address Checker suggest you might expect to receive?
Standard User richardwhit
(newbie) Fri 02-Dec-16 23:10:46
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Because the estimates were saying 80Mbps; Plusnet tell me my guaranteed data rate is 75Mbps. Whilst I was skeptical there's nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Fri 02-Dec-16 23:25:34
Print Post

that because speed is measured at the DP -- there is a drop to the premise -- most dps are normally 50 metres at max -- yours is around 1.4km which is why the checker tells you 80mm/bps but you only get 8 - and is consistent from when the farm needed to contact the exchange they provided a long DP back to the cabinet
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Dec-16 23:37:07
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Bah! frown

I think you mean "premises".

Dictionary definition of "premise".

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15296kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User mikejp
(member) Sat 03-Dec-16 09:58:46
Print Post

I cannot believe you were told '75Mbps'!! At a 'crow-flies' 1 mile (probably a lot more of cable run) you cannot get expect to get more than 20Mbps.

Mark Heath's graph shows this clearly at Mark Heath and needs to be thrown back at Plusnet!

Either you are looking at the wrong cabinet in the checker or PN are mis-selling.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Dec-16 11:34:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by richardwhit:
Plusnet tell me my guaranteed data rate is 75Mbps.

How did they tell you that? I have never heard of such a thing.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 66997/19999 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Sat 03-Dec-16 12:05:13
Print Post

Hi,

After being teased by BT for a couple of years, my cab was finally upgraded to FTTC recently. Me and one of my neighbours immediately ordered Plusnet's 80Mbps service. Both of us were skeptical we would receive anywhere near that speed given the distance to the cab (~1 mile as the crow flies) but thought it would be fun to see what we got. I was hoping for around 14Mbps but have peaked out at about 4.5Mbps with my neighbour managing ~8Mbps.

Cue around 5 weeks of phonecalls to Plusnet, a couple of no shows from Openreach, and a couple of master socket replacements, we're not much further along. Plusnet have offered to release my neighbour from his contract but I am pushing them to escalate my issue with Openreach, whatever that may achieve.

For information, we live in a semi-rural area in a small community of 11 converted barns. A number of the other neighbours are waiting to see what experience me and the aforementioned neighbour get before deciding if they'll take the punt.

At this point I am not hopeful that Plusnet will be able to do much more, I suspect there is some issue upstream of the farm between us and the cab which I doubt Openreach will remedy. Although there must be a specific issue affecting me given my neighbour gets nearly twice what I do (again have raised that but the openreach engineer that attended would not check the ducts outside for example since he said he wasn't an underground engineer).

I'm wondering what other avenues are left to us? All I can think of is that we will have to wait until we get FTTP rolled out, which may be never, or group together and buy a leased line which will probably be too expensive.

Are there any ways I can force Openreach to accept there is a problem they need to remedy (don't laugh, just asking)? Or can we band together to get FTTP on demand etc.?

Any thoughts appreciated!

If your cabinet was just enabled, then it's probably just an error with the estimated speeds in the database.

When our original cabinet went live (P2), the BT checker suggested we could get 80/20. The line length was around 1.5 miles so in reality we only got 16/1.7.

The checker updated a couple of weeks later to reflect that.

I imagine you're in a similar situation, not sure whether you could use that to get out your contract - or at least move to 40/10 for a lesser monthly fee.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Sat 03-Dec-16 12:13:17
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
Plusnet tell me my guaranteed data rate is 75Mbps.

How did they tell you that? I have never heard of such a thing.

When you sign up it's stated. Something to do with the OFCOM code of practice I think. BT,Talk Talk Business and others do the same
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Dec-16 12:20:53
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
When you sign up it's stated.

What, using the term "guaranteed data rate"?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 66997/19999 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to