General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ryannn
(learned) Sat 10-Dec-16 12:57:59
Print Post

Cabinet Question

[link to this post]

Hey guys,

Just doing some research, I'm on an EO line (postcode HR2 9DX). Codelook says planned for Jan 2017 completion, cabinet "P2". Now there's a cabinet up the road been installed with a "2" on, in August, right in the HR2 9DH postcode.

I'm a bit confused as to my rollout plan, current status, and how long I should expect to wait, Jan 2017 isn't really looking likely. Fastershire say by the end of the year too. :/
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Dec-16 14:07:56
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Question

[re: ryannn] [link to this post]

Suspect it will be borderline superfast if a cabinet deployed where you say, since about a km between the two postcodes.

If it was FTTP and in the plan you usually see a different message, and some FTTP is already live on that exchange.

Unless you can get someone in authority, I'd ignore the Jan 17 dates and only get excited when it actually happens.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ryannn
(learned) Sat 10-Dec-16 15:13:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I did think the same, currently on 5mbps / 0.3mbps speed, so any increase would be welcome.

I literally find it astonishing I can't find out just information on plans, I'm a business user and working with video content is impossible with that upload speed.

The cabinet has just been stood there, haven't seen BT working for a good month or two now, so everything just seems to have stopped, can't find anyone to ask.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User plankton
(regular) Sat 10-Dec-16 19:35:17
Print Post

And you will not find anyone either. The BDUK project are being done to you not for you.
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Sun 11-Dec-16 17:12:22
Print Post

If tis a BDUK cab the release date and availability publicity is usually controlled by the local authority, who could easily have left it with the "default end-of-project" date
Standard User ryannn
(learned) Tue 03-Jan-17 15:34:47
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

Update!!

"We're connecting power to the new fibre cabinet and joining the new fibre lines to the existing copper network.

You can't order a fibre service today but typically it'll be available to your premises within the next four months."

Four months, does it really take that long? Nothing on Roadworks either :|
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Jan-17 16:05:46
Print Post

What does "Connecting power" actually mean? It maybe that they have put the request/order in to the power company who will then have to plan their work and apply for permission to do the work.

It could be that there are no trained technicians available to terminate the fibre or the team needed to blow the fibre are booked up ...

Or it may be that four months is default and everything will be done next week! Power from an adjacent supply, fibre in and hust a single termination needed ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 17:14:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by ryannn:
Four months, does it really take that long? Nothing on Roadworks either :|

My first cabinet took precisely that much longer than all the other cabinets in the vicinity.

At roughly monthly intervals, you got a new set of roadworks, followed by a new trail of tarmac heading off in various directions. All in the search for a suitable power supply.

I assume that the intervals were needed either to meet the project planning leadtimes, each time something went wrong, or the notice period needed to let the council know about the roadworks.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-17 17:18:36
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
... or the notice period needed to let the council know about the roadworks.

Some councils demand around 3 months notice! That is what was stated by my council when BT wanted to re-instate a pole and restore service which needed a 2 hour window with traffic control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 17:23:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Ours varied, depending on how busy the road is.

In one place, where the road is a busy route into town and passes 2 schools, they forced the roadworks into the summer holiday break.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to