General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User n21
(learned) Sat 10-Dec-16 16:19:34
Print Post

VDSL through ADSL v1.0 master socket?

[link to this post]

Hello! I just placed an order for BT Infinity and was given the option of self-activation. My concern, however, is the line I have has one of the 'older' ADSL v1.0 filtered sockets, installed by BT.

Is this an issue and would it affect performance? I should clarify that the line has no extensions and has no phones plugged into it—it is used solely for broadband.

Many thanks! smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 10-Dec-16 16:31:37
Print Post

Re: VDSL through ADSL v1.0 master socket?

[re: n21] [link to this post]

It might have a small adverse effect as the earlier filters were not designed with the higher VDSL frequencies in mind. As you have no phones or extensions, a filter is not actually required and you could just use an appropriate BT to RJ adapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User n21
(learned) Sat 10-Dec-16 16:34:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Oh right, that's a very good point. So I could actually just run straight off the test socket then if I wanted and bypass filters altogether, thereby attaining maximum possible line performance?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 10-Dec-16 16:50:32
Print Post

You could, or get a standard telephony only faceplate on there if you want it to look tidy.

M H C

Standard User n21
(learned) Sat 10-Dec-16 16:52:37
Print Post

OK, might look at that then, thanks! And to clarify, the new master sockets would offer no performance benefits over a standard NTE5?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 10-Dec-16 17:02:10
Print Post

Provided there are NO telephony connections then a standard NTE5 will be te best choice. Even the newest VDSL filtered face plate could affect the performance. A filter is NEVER perfect.

M H C

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Sat 10-Dec-16 17:04:22
Print Post

I had a new line installed a few days ago - and the socket provided certainly has changed from the flat version!

https://s23.postimg.org/f9m7p6s7v/20161210_170225.jpg
Standard User n21
(learned) Sat 10-Dec-16 17:04:53
Print Post

Understood. Yeah, that's why we opted for a separate line. The main voice line in the house is extremely old, so the broadband line just comes straight in and terminates at the front door. From there, it hits the router and then Cat6 around the house.

Yes, no extensions and no phones plugged into the socket. The line has a call plan (because I think we have to with BT, unfortunately) but I don't expect that would make any difference haha!
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Sat 10-Dec-16 17:06:59
Print Post

2 weeks ago I nearly chopped what I thought was an old unused cable just swinging freely from the back door to the floor.

Just learnt it's the older existing phone line with the original FTTC on! Glad I didn't! :/
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 10-Dec-16 17:31:37
Print Post

I don't think you have to have a call plan. I would check that out if I were you.

Re the router siting, how far will that be from the master socket, will a phone extension cable be used to reach it, and what were the Infinity speed estimates?

VDSL2 is much more sensitive to total line length from the cabinet, and phone extension cables can be a significant source of noise.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15199kbps @ 600m. - IPv4
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to