General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Fri 16-Dec-16 18:42:44
Print Post

Cabinet roll out plans?

[link to this post]

A friend of mine has just had her cabinet FTTC enabled a week or so ago. An upgrade was ordered and it 'went live' on Monday. However, she never got a DSL sync. An OR engineer came out today to check the line, and apparently it's too long for VDSL.
The nearest cabinet is in the next village along, though the OR engineer seemed to think that a cabinet was being installed in the village for FTTC.

Is there any way to find out OR's plans for new cabinets? Or is it just a case of watching the roadworks.org website and guessing?

Random info:
Exchange is Askern, current cabinet is Cab 8
The village has around 300 residents.
VDSL range is 3-8Mbs
ADSL is 1-3.5Mbs (1.6Mbs was around average)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Dec-16 18:56:23
Print Post

Re: Cabinet roll out plans?

[re: gromit69] [link to this post]

No guarantee that anything more will happen (at a guess they are on Grange Road or near to it)

No sign of any infill work to add a cabinet that I can see, a lot depends on how the South Yorks project progresses and what they do in later rounds of work i.e. if money left they may do more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Fri 16-Dec-16 19:02:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Your guess is spot on Andrew - thank you smile
They're in Burghwallis.
There's been some work with jointing chambers recently, but nothing 'useful'.
I'll contact SFSY and see if they can give me anything useful.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Dec-16 18:33:41
Print Post

OR more than likely won't be adding any additional capacity/cabinets until after March 18

BT Infinity 2 using Smart Hub - Type B
TBB Speedtest
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Wed 21-Dec-16 12:53:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just had a message from my friend. A new cabinet has mysteriously appeared near the village which looks like an AIO unit. The cab number is 13.
So new kit is being installed. I'm guessing that it'll need to be connected up and then the existing lines run through it. Is there anyway to watch the progress of this?
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 12:57:11
Print Post

Go and stand near the cabinet laugh
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 13:03:49
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Although.. saying that its only a few days in the whole process where something actually happens at the Cab.
Once its stood, if power is connected there have only been about 2 - 3 visits from engineers to commission our cab. There will be another when they do the final line rearrangement.

So.. if you do stand near it.. take a whole bagful of patience with you smile

Regards PGre
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Wed 21-Dec-16 13:22:11
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

If you are going to stand outside the cabinet be prepared for a long wait. Our AIO was installed in April, did not go live until October, then developed problems and only last week started taking orders again.
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:25:11
Print Post

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

a cab can easily be in place for 6 months prior to being live
there are also extended issues where you have something called live to live and that have to be resolved prior to the cab being open for orders
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 21:54:01
Print Post

Look at Elgin Roadworks every morning. Also, do stand next to it permanently until you see any action. Take multiple Thermos flasks full of soup, wrapped in a "freezer" (i.e. insulation) bag, and live on that from 8am to 6pm each day. Then you can confirm whether or not any work has been carried out on that PCP, that day. Then sleep, then repeat. Take your smartphone out to record and conversations with OR engineers in 4K HD, and put them on your webspace, and post the links here. If any promises in those conversations are not fulfilled, post them to the OR CEO immediately.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Wed 21-Dec-16 21:57:14)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to