General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Sun 18-Dec-16 21:08:56
Print Post

FTTP Deployment

[link to this post]

Before i start, notthing is finalalzied as of yet we're just in the early stages of potentially getting FTTP.

So my community has started the process of a community fibre partnership with openreach/bt. We've had a quoted price for the work to be carried out from openreach to do all the work and install FTTP to my village of 20 lines/19 houses. The distance the fibre would need to come from is around 2.8-3km. I believe the first 800m or so will be blown through existing ducting, then i should be able to mole plough/dig around 1.8-2km ducting and then openreach would use the existing poles in my village for the rest of the journey.

I have a few questions i hope you can help me answer.
So if i was to dig the ducting myself it would be along the roadside probably about 6ft from the road, would you have to pay for this or would you just need permission from the local council/authorities to allow me to lay the ducting?
How much do you think i could cut the price by deploying the majority of the ducting myself?
Does anyone know of any grants i could potentially get?
From various other discussions, apparently the actual raw materials (fibre, ducting, chambers, etc) aren't all that pricey.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Dec-16 21:59:48
Print Post

Re: FTTP Deployment

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

On private or public land? Private would need wayleaves and on public you would need to meet the demands of the council in showing you can do the work safely, have the various insurance etc etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Sun 18-Dec-16 22:18:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There is the potential to use private land for some of the ducting, we could just follow the fields edge,getting land owners permission wouldn't be a problem for some of the fields, because the owner would benefit from FTTP. But i was wondering more about the roadside which would be owned by the council i guess, do you know if you would have to pay? Or is like you said more about getting permission and then working safely and insurance.
Thanks for the reply.

Edited by MikeJG (Sun 18-Dec-16 22:26:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User panda
(committed) Sun 18-Dec-16 23:01:47
Print Post

For council property, it would be up the the local authority to decide whether you are 'competent' to carry out the work to the required standards safely. They may decide that an accredited contractor be employed to carry out the work, or you may be able to persuade them that you can meet whatever requirements they set.

BT will also have a say if they are to be expected to adopt responsibility for the duct after installation, so if the duct collapses after 6 months due to poor workmanship, they don't bear the cost of repair. They would also need to agree any wayleaves.

Simplistically, you need to discuss the possibility and get agreement from all interested parties before you can do anything.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Mon 19-Dec-16 08:34:24
Print Post

[re: panda] [link to this post]

I see, thanks for the help.
In an ideal world we would like to get a few grants, i know some communities have received 50+ grand via grants. If we could get the price down to £20,000, each property would only have to pay a grand which isn't bad for FTTP, as it's future proof. But i'm guessing the best way to get the price down would be to do the majority of the work ourselves.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-16 09:45:28
Print Post

Only grants knocking around are usually for properties with sub 2 Mbps connectivity at present

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:14:56
Print Post

Are those are the ones that are generally used for satellite broadband? I think it was £350 per property, so we could get like £6000 from those if everyone applies. which would be great. I've read online about other communities getting well over 40k in funding/grants.

I know the fell end community broadband managed to get a ton of funding http://www.ravenstonedale.org/features/fellendbroadb...

Its say's this on their website.
The project cost a total of £88,000 all of which was civil engineering work paid directly to the contractor. The project was funded by

£26,000 Princes Countryside Fund
£53,000 Rural Community Broadband Fund (RCBF)
£2,000 Holhird Trust
£1,000 Talktalk Digital Heroes
£6,000 community contributions
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:23:15
Print Post

RCBF fund is closed now

Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Mon 19-Dec-16 15:30:44
Print Post

Ah, that's a shame. Still there could be other schemes about, if anyone knows any let me know. Hopefully if we can get the majority of the ducting laid ourselves, that should cut the cost drastically. I wonder how much i could save by using private land rather than going along the roadside which will be owned by the local council. That might not factor into the cost much but i don't know. We would just use a mole plough for the majority, i think there would only be 1 road we would need to go under, and that would be at the end of someones drive. All the roadsides are on backroads surrounded by countryside.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Dec-16 17:04:20
Print Post

Have BT agreed to this? I presume you wish them to take over ownership. B4RN would be a source of knowledge about this subject.

You might be able to get BT to sub contract the work of laying the trunking to you. Perhaps easier where it crosses private land.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to