General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User imaposter
(newbie) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:14:17
Print Post

FTTC - Speed suspiciously low

[link to this post]

I am on the TalkTalk fibre large plan and have been for some time. My download speed is 16.49 and upload 1.99 Mbps. Is it possible that although I got a new socket and Openreach modem that I am still on a 40/2 plan rather than 80/20? How can I check? Talktalk assure me I am paying for fibre large, but that is not my question!

Modem = Openreach ECI, Router = Apple Airport Extreme.

Thanks!

Hedgehogs - Nature's speedhumps.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:21:19
Print Post

Re: FTTC - Speed suspiciously low

[re: imaposter] [link to this post]

It seems likely you are on the 40/2 but not certainly. What does this checker show for your address in the two VDSL2 lines? (The phone number option won't work for your line, and the postcode checker cannot be trusted).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/16208Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:21:46
Print Post

What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com show for your address when using the address checker?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:24:52
Print Post

NOTE: All that being on 80/20 will do is uncap your upload speeds, it will not affect the download speeds at all.

The upload speed cap indicates TalkTalk have probably put you on a 40/2 product.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User imaposter
(newbie) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:44:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS,
VDSL Range A: downstream 31.9 -> 22.4 and upstream 6.6 -> 4.6
VDSL Range B: upstream 25 -> 11.4 and upstream 5.6 -> 1.8

No mention of VDSL2; all the other stats are for ADSL.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:48:11
Print Post

Can you get stats from the tt router and post them?
Standard User imaposter
(newbie) Mon 19-Dec-16 13:06:39
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi - I think the Apple Router means I cannot get to the stats. Tried plugging laptop directly into the ECI modem, but seems not to allow access frown

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Dec-16 13:26:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by imaposter:
Hi - I think the Apple Router means I cannot get to the stats. Tried plugging laptop directly into the ECI modem, but seems not to allow access frown

Indeed you cannot get stats through the ECI modem, unless you fancy doing a bit of soldering to the modem smile Do you not have the TT supplied router as a spare/backup?

For your line the BT DSL checker estimates vdsl2 download speeds of 11-32 mbps & 2-7 mbps in upload so your current 16/2 is within the estimate, however we really need to see those line stats to determine if the line is capable of anything faster.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Dec-16 13:52:58
Print Post

Yes, I was forgetting the checker (mis)names it VDSL smile. It is VDSL2.

Given those estimates you would appear to be on 40/2. But as MrSaffron says, even if they put you onto 80/20 (Fibre Large that you are paying for), your only benefit will be an increase in the upstream to 6Mbps or so.

It would be worth using the same checker for a couple of your neighbours to see if theirs are roughly the same. (And on the same cabinet as you). Preferably their phone number if you know it and they are not on TalkTalk or Sky. On those the number won't work, like yours.

It looks as though whoever did the provisioning looked at your downstream estimates, (they see almost exactly what you just did), and decided that 40/2 was what they should order from Openreach. But didn't tell accounts/billing!

However, your 16.49Mbps (wireless speed tests?) suggest improving your home wiring in the same way as we used to do for ADSLx could give you more speed. On FTTC it is even more critical than it was on ADSLx.

Remember, all equipment connected to the line must go through a filter. Second, the router needs to be next to the master socket if possible. Third, see the Ring/Bell wire and Miscellaneous nasties links on this page. It was written for ADSLx but applies even more on FTTC.

Edit - also try always to do speed tests wired to the router. Wireless can lose a lot.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/16208Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 19-Dec-16 13:54:34)

Standard User imaposter
(newbie) Tue 20-Dec-16 11:05:24
Print Post

Dug out the talk talk HG533 router and got it up and running. Spent an hour trying to find the results for the attenuation but could not see it in any menus frown Are they visible on this router (modem = openreach ECI)

Cheers.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to