General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cjdavid
(newbie) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:31:48
Print Post

Fibre process?

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I have been on the 'connect' box on openreach website since October, and I have just checked the roadworks site, and they are going to add a power connection and duct I think lol.

Can anyone explain, what the quote from roadworks, means please?

Here is the message from roadworks "POWER CONNECTION following street cabinet installation. Excavate to expose low voltage cable for Power Connection and lay duct. POWER engineer to carry out inspection prior to jointing. POWER jointing team to insert cable and execute jointing works. Reinstate, Check and clear site."
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:41:34
Print Post

Re: Fibre process?

[re: cjdavid] [link to this post]

Looks pretty self explanatory.

The cabinet is being hooked up to mains power.
Standard User cjdavid
(newbie) Tue 20-Dec-16 09:08:19
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Will the fibre cable be installed at the same time or later? Plus does anyone know how long it may take for my cabinet to be enabled?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Dec-16 09:43:34
Print Post

That I recollect for the local FTTC, the power connection was done very late in the process.

The initial work for the base and ducts started in November 2013, with a published "Release For Service" date of 30th May 2014, first listed about August 2013.

It was one of probably 28 FTTCs, erected around town over that winter period.

It was done in phases, about 2 days work, followed by around 2 weeks quiet as the corresponding phase was carried on the others apparently.

It was actually available for VDSL upgrades late in March 2014, about 2 months early.

--------

Strangely, given that the FTTC is only about 10 Metres from my lounge window and I can see its interior when opened, I am not sure of when the Fibre was actually blown through; but I suspect probably relatively early in the process.

The Mains connections were very late on - probably for safety reasons.
Standard User cjdavid
(newbie) Tue 20-Dec-16 10:13:42
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
That I recollect for the local FTTC, the power connection was done very late in the process.

The initial work for the base and ducts started in November 2013, with a published "Release For Service" date of 30th May 2014, first listed about August 2013.

It was one of probably 28 FTTCs, erected around town over that winter period.

It was done in phases, about 2 days work, followed by around 2 weeks quiet as the corresponding phase was carried on the others apparently.

It was actually available for VDSL upgrades late in March 2014, about 2 months early.

--------

Strangely, given that the FTTC is only about 10 Metres from my lounge window and I can see its interior when opened, I am not sure of when the Fibre was actually blown through; but I suspect probably relatively early in the process.

The Mains connections were very late on - probably for safety reasons.

That's good to know, thanks! I'm wondering...did they work on the underground distribution points? As I read that roadworks message as digging up the road.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Dec-16 10:46:04
Print Post

An amount of underground work for the power supply is normal, the extent of this will depend on the state of the power network in the area and this translates into the cost for Openreach

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Dec-16 15:26:11
Print Post

There was no real roadworks etc; as the phone ducting had been substantially improved back in 1986, to go by the Year on the UnderGround Chamber covers - which had also been expanded from single-section to three-section.

Apart from the obvious footings and foundations for the FTTC itself, the only trenching etc, was from the UG Phone Chamber almost immediately outside my lounge window to the FTTC - the latter being on the "country side" of the UGC, basically in thr footpath; and a very short trench from the FTTC to an existing traffic sign pole, to access the Mains supply.

THEN ALL of the Traffic Signs were removed from that pole - leaving an apparently-unused pole pointing sky-wards!

A couple of other Traffic Signs were removed from other poles in the immediate vicinity, a minor T-Junction, by a Primary School and Nursery, with two School-Crossings - warden regulated, leaving doubts about the legality of various Traffic Regulations and Speed Limits!

These crossings are in use 5 times per day, so about 950 times per year; and involve a "blind" road entry.

One sign was moved to another existing pole, resulting in its not being visible to the intended users; and if they do see it, taking them away at right-angles to the intended actual route in to a dead-end!!

Those machinations were done by the Local Authority Roads Department.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Tue 20-Dec-16 16:12:22
Print Post

It's highly variable, sometimes the power connection happens last, sometimes the fibre or maybe the copper. Depends on different aspects including availabilities of skilled personnel , and what civils work maybe required.
Standard User cjdavid
(newbie) Tue 20-Dec-16 16:31:27
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
It's highly variable, sometimes the power connection happens last, sometimes the fibre or maybe the copper. Depends on different aspects including availabilities of skilled personnel , and what civils work maybe required.

thanks for that! And all of the replies from everyone smile I've been a bit obsessed wondering when it will go live lol.

At least it's being done now and getting closer to fibre smile
  Print Thread

Jump to