General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobbobuk
(newbie) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:13:23
Print Post

What is max speed for NON Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi this is my 1st post here and it is asked in the fibre forum as I believe my aunt's internet connection is now fibre despite her paying for and signing up for bog standard adsl.

Using 3 different broadband speed tests her connection via a BT wifi hub gets min 37 MBPs and most of the time 51-54 MBPS as the download speed on the tests.

Any thoughts what the internet provider (BT) has to do to change accidentally from adsl normal to fibre?
ie will their new smart hub work with both speeds via normal adsl rj11 connections?
Standard User witchunt
(member) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:32:22
Print Post

Re: What is max speed for NON Fibre

[re: bobbobuk] [link to this post]

The smart hub will work with either Ads or VDSL (FTTC) using the same RJ11 connection.
You can't get that kind of result from an ADSL connection unless the test is being misreported, AV software may do this.
Alternatively, if using wifi device, it may have connected to another netwirk e.g. BT wifi
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:33:13
Print Post

If thise speeds, which should be Mbps, are done in a wired config and are correct then she will be on a VDSL/FTTC Infinity connection, ADSL2+ would only ever give speeds up to abut 20Mbps.

Yes, it is likely that the SmartHub will work without any reconfig.

What does the BT checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome suggest for ADSL and VDSL/FTTC for her line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobbobuk
(newbie) Wed 21-Dec-16 18:05:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

screenshot of speedtest you suggested of her line

So I would say most likelyis her line is connected to VDSL under range B ie impacted getting 51mps down and 9 up

Edited by bobbobuk (Wed 21-Dec-16 18:09:10)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 21-Dec-16 18:19:21
Print Post

It confirms that her line is capable of those speeds if it is connected to a VDSL cabinet and that there is no way an ADSL servcie could provide anywhere near.

Next check is to run a WIRED speed test, not wireless to rule out any oddities or potential connection to another user's WAP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 19:35:46
Print Post

Geez, Can you imagine

" I walked into the Mini dealer and they gave me a Ferrari for no extra cost, oh shucks!"
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 21:38:52
Print Post

Yes. Bobobuk, could you proveide a postcode? That will likely tell you which cabinet she is connected to, etc.

Either way, it's sort of a moot point. If she thought she was on ADSL, she is mistaken, and has a very acceptable VDSL connection (i.e. FTTC).

Course of action: If she's paying ADSL prices, and nothing more. DO NOTHING, and of course pretend never to have noticed if they question you.

If you're getting charged more than ADSL prices, phone and complain immediately because they have made an error, which has caused your whole family great distress over the Christmas period. I mean you're surely thinking about inviting the local news people round, aren't you, because she feared that she couldn't afford any presents for her grandchildren? Put a Christmas tree up with no presents underneath it, so the local camera crew can shove their cameras right under there.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Wed 21-Dec-16 21:47:17)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Dec-16 22:16:29
Print Post

There are a (very) few places in the UK where ADSL customers are being moved onto an FTTC service, so that BT are able to provide a better service to the very longest lines.

By removing ADSL service, BT are able to adapt the FTTC service to give longer range ... but, of course, all those at a shorter range benefit too ... and the ex-ADSL folk benefit even more.

So far the trials have been in East Sussex and the Isle of Lewis, but I believe BT are planning a few more locations.

I have no idea what BT does, at retail level, to the people whose service gets improved this way. Do they tell them? Do they charge more? Do they keep shtum?

It's highly unlikely your aunt benefited this way, but it is a possibility.
Standard User bobbobuk
(newbie) Thu 22-Dec-16 01:37:47
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Interesting, the speed test was indeed done using rj45 cable from a desktop mac os X to the back of the BT Hub.

36 MBPS to 54 Mbps
So Fibre to cabinet suspected? Definitely RJ11 via broadband filter phone line in the house.

Will indeed double check bill when it comes after 1 st month.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 22-Dec-16 08:25:41
Print Post

Re: What is max speed for NON Fibre *DELETED*

Post deleted by MHC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to