General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Thumper
(newbie) Fri 23-Dec-16 10:37:35
Print Post

Code Look accuracy?

[link to this post]

I'm on the Wickhambrook exchange which is due to have FTTC available on cabinet P1, and is due live by October 2016 according to Code Look.
I have yet to see any evidence of roadworks, actual or planned. Is this normal for Openreach?

Also I currently have the following statistics from my router.
Connection speed 8128Kbps
Downstream attenuation 17dB
Downstream noise margin 11dB

I am currently getting 6.52Mbps, according to Sam Knows, so given that I am 2,356m from cabinet P1 (Code Look) what speed may I reasonably expect, if this cabinet goes live?
Standard User witchunt
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 11:20:43
Print Post

Re: Code Look accuracy?

[re: Thumper] [link to this post]

I am 2,356m from cabinet P1 (Code Look) what speed may I reasonably expect, if this cabinet goes live?

If accurate then you can realistically expect no FTTC service available, or probably slower than your current connection
Standard User Thumper
(newbie) Fri 23-Dec-16 11:37:12
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thank you witchunt.

I sort of had that feeling, especially as the line appears to set off in the opposite direction to cabinet P1.

But now I'm confused by this calculator which seems to go against any chart I have ever seen.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 11:44:25
Print Post

That one seems to base on the attenuation only. There is no direct correlation with ADSL and VDSL. The frequencies are different and ADSL is from the exchange and vdsl is from the cabinets.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 23-Dec-16 11:51:26
Print Post

There is actually a chance that you could get a VDSL/FTTC service. I have oversight on on line which is around 2.8-3.0 km from the cabinet and that gets a around 2Mbps. A "neighbour" with about 2.5 to 2.8 sees about 5Mbps ...

Given that both of those are below your current ADSL speeds - you would actually be silly to consider changing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Thumper
(newbie) Fri 23-Dec-16 11:56:10
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Yes, that makes sense.
I hadn't remembered the higher frequency.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Dec-16 11:58:11
Print Post

Just a heads up the distance thing on the codelook site is not the distance from you to the cabinet, but from you and your exchange.

But without a postcode to go by we cannot determine how far you are from your actual cabinet.

As for the accuracy of codelook, well they are using NGA document information I assume, so the info should be as correct as to openreach's database, that's assuming their information is correct as well.

I have FTTP and codelook still says that I cannot get fibre yet.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User Thumper
(newbie) Fri 23-Dec-16 12:01:08
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

CB8 8YW
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Dec-16 12:24:52
Print Post

Well I "think" I have found your exchange located here size of an average shed, seems it caters for around 900 lines, so its a small exchange.

Not been able to find any cabinets due to Google Maps hasn't been in your area since 2009.

What also makes things hard is a lot of the roads are not even named on google maps and roadworks.

Are they new builds, I can see a lot of plots?

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User Thumper
(newbie) Fri 23-Dec-16 12:42:04
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thank you Paul

Yes the exchange does look like a converted brick shed

Most of the houses are either old thatched cottages, 10 plus years old "executive homes" or converted pub, school etc.

Going by P1s postcode, where it is shown on Code Look is about as close as it can be as the crow flies.

What is odd to me, is that there does not appear to be planned roadworks in the area in the next 12 months.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to