General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Wed 28-Dec-16 20:31:36
Print Post

Who do I email/contact to find out why there are no cabinets

[link to this post]

I recently moved. I do have fibre at a decent (but not exactly groundbreaking) 17Mbits with Sky.

The nearest cabinet is around 1-1.5km away. There must be a good 200 homes covered by that one cabinet if not more.

Why is it there are no cabinets closer? That is the question I would like to know. I'm sure there is plenty of demand... It seems very strange that there isn't any closer. (Post code is BN207TW).

So the question is who can I contact to find out the reason for this? Is there someone at BT? Openreach?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Dec-16 21:07:17
Print Post

Re: Who do I email/contact to find out why there are no cabi

[re: Spinstorm] [link to this post]

Why? Because until VDSL2 appeared there was no need for people to be sat on top of a cabinet

Given adding another cabinet closer perhaps on Upper Carlisle Road would not generate any significant extra income and it looks likely no one is under 10 Mbps or 2 Mbps on the existing cabinet then unless someone wants to pay for an additional cabinet its not likely to happen.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 28-Dec-16 21:21:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think Openreach would be the people to ask, as they own the cabinets..

This link says how to contact them https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/get-in-touch...

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 28-Dec-16 21:25:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-16 21:22:08
Print Post

Why are the cabinets placed where they are? The main reasons will go back to the population spread and demand back in the sixties-seventies. Focused on the main, only, service - voice.

In the sixties-seventies, the focus was just on the best places to swap from 500-1000-pair e-side cable into 50-100-pair d-side cables.

Why no closer? Because there hasn't been a need for cabinets to be close, or far away, until this decade.

Why haven't they added a closer one for FTTC? Because it is an expensive decision, which is not commercially viable. All such additional cabinets have so far been added with subsidy - either from BDUK, or from private financing (eg a developer, or a management company).

If BDUK is to add such a cabinet for you, then you must be considered against other worthy contenders too. There isn't enough money to achieve perfection for everyone.

Is there someone you can contact to find out more specific details in your case? Probably not for just asking the question out of curiosity. However, if you wish to investigate community-funding for a closer cabinet, you could look at
http://www.communityfibre.bt.com/
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Dec-16 21:36:51
Print Post

Well your exchange has around 112 cabinets serving ~28.5K lines, most of which are already live, I can even see a cabinet supplying around 9 lines, how that got BDUK funding I don't know.

I can also see that your cabinet (i.e. 27) has passed 480 odd properties which is located here, but by the looks of it, it looks like it has a small fibre cabinet which is why there is a waiting list atm.

I worked it out as 1km give or take a metre or two, from that postcode and the cabinets, that's if I picked the route they placed the cables.

So on average that's 255 lines per cabinet, that's not too bad.

As for closer cabinets, well that distance is fine for phone lines which is what they was originally designed for.

Also new house builds get built, its normally the developer that is responsible for this and going by the type of PCP Cabinet its been there for many years now due to it being made of cast iron.

I would wait for G.FAST to be rolled out, that should increase your speeds a fair amount.

No point giving you any email addresses at BT / Openreach due to none of them will probably answer that question.

But looking at the map they seem spread out ok to me.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Dec-16 22:24:45
Print Post

The other responders have all put forward very good reasons for the present situation.

Additionally, on average over the cabinets that have FTTC/VDSL available to them, have only about 25% to 30% take-up.

So the majority of subscribers have not felt the need to upgrade to VDSL, remaining on ADSL, possibly dial-up - or don't have/feel the need for the service!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Dec-16 23:54:09
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

At the distance the poster is g.fast will need to be phase II or better, since phase I is purely cabinet based

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Thu 29-Dec-16 02:31:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So there are 400 properties and one cabinet? seems like a good reason.

What is the situation with G.fast? Do we have a roll out or is it just up in the air?
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-16 02:49:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spinstorm:

What is the situation with G.fast? Do we have a roll out or is it just up in the air?

A second cabinet would be sited within 50m of the original copper cabinet. They don't build closer to home due to premises count. There are over 630 premises connected to my local cabinet and 700+ on some. My own has 2 large FTTC cabinets either side of the copper one.

G.fast will not benefit you until at least 2020. Until then all G.fast will be from existing cabinets so people like yourself and me are SOOL.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Dec-16 09:50:06
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by Spinstorm:

A second cabinet would be sited within 50m of the original copper cabinet. They don't build closer to home due to premises count. There are over 630 premises connected to my local cabinet and 700+ on some. My own has 2 large FTTC cabinets either side of the copper one.

G.fast will not benefit you until at least 2020. Until then all G.fast will be from existing cabinets so people like yourself and me are SOOL.

Agreed.
By the looks of the OP fibre cabinet which looks like the half sized one and not know too much about the actual FTTC hardware I wouldn't know how many lines it could pass, but it won't pass all the 400 hence the waiting list.

We also have loads of PCP Cabinets on our exchange that passes mostly in the range of 600 to 900+ lines each granted most of them got FTTP.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 29-Dec-16 09:50:53)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to