General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sheza
(newbie) Fri 30-Dec-16 10:11:13
Print Post

Cabinet enabled for fibre, but not available?

[link to this post]

Hi there,

My girlfriend has atrocious broadband barely getting above the 2Mbps mark. It's amazing to think that her Dad runs a business, however small, off the back of this connection.

Their local BT cabinet has been upgraded to fibre, but the house still can't get it. I understand that when you're out in the sticks it costs BT a lot to cable all the way to your house. But she's not exactly at the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere. It's a mostly flat A-road.

Anyway - I get why she currently doesn't have fibre, but it got me thinking - when will she? Will she ever? How is this government promise of universal fast broadband ever going to be met? Not even the unconventional suggestions given to us by Connecting Cambridgeshire - such as Air Broadband - are available!

I hope you all can shed some light on this for me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Dec-16 10:15:01
Print Post

Re: Cabinet enabled for fibre, but not available?

[re: Sheza] [link to this post]

If the distance between the property if 1.5km or more then it matters little whether you are in a tower block in a city or a farm down a single lane track, the physics of signal attenuation still apply.

There are some cabinets going live where people cannot order due to issues, so mentioning the cabinet and exchange will let people (like me) be able to look at the situation.

The universal stuff, 2 Mbps is handed off to wireless or satellite broadband providers, and the 10 Mbps USO is still some years away, and the technical solutions already exist, just that everyone is trying to find a way to make it cost less to install.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sheza
(newbie) Fri 30-Dec-16 10:20:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If the distance between the property if 1.5km or more then it matters little whether you are in a tower block in a city or a farm down a single lane track, the physics of signal attenuation still apply.

There are some cabinets going live where people cannot order due to issues, so mentioning the cabinet and exchange will let people (like me) be able to look at the situation.

The universal stuff, 2 Mbps is handed off to wireless or satellite broadband providers, and the 10 Mbps USO is still some years away, and the technical solutions already exist, just that everyone is trying to find a way to make it cost less to install.

Thanks for your response.

The exchange is Six Mile Bottom (EASIX). I don't know the cabinet, but looking at Google Maps it appears the house is 1.5 miles straight up the road from the exchange.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 30-Dec-16 10:39:26
Print Post

A postcode would help.
Standard User georgelnx
(member) Fri 30-Dec-16 10:46:44
Print Post

The cabinet is shown on the output from the BT Broadband checker at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome?

Standard User Sheza
(newbie) Fri 30-Dec-16 10:56:11
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by georgelnx:
The cabinet is shown on the output from the BT Broadband checker at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome?

Thank you!

Telephone Number -redacted- on Exchange SIX MILE BOTTOM is served by Cabinet 1
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 30-Dec-16 11:01:30
Print Post

There's only 1 cabinet for that exachange.

My guess it she's too far away.

You'd need to get in touch with BDUK for Cambridgeshire.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Dec-16 11:06:29
Print Post

What are the estimates given by that checker please? Just the contents of the table, not the guff below it, and don't worry about the formatting.

Barely 2Mbps sounds a bit low at that distance unless the cabling goes a long route.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/16365Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Dec-16 11:14:55
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Agreed, my guess is they are located north of the Westley Bottom Road, which is the distance where speeds start falling away quickly.

Being slap on the county boundary may be an issue too as the postcodes to the North are in Suffolk and to the south are in Cambridgeshire.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sheza
(newbie) Fri 30-Dec-16 11:27:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What are the estimates given by that checker please? Just the contents of the table, not the guff below it, and don't worry about the formatting.

Barely 2Mbps sounds a bit low at that distance unless the cabling goes a long route.

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Agreed, my guess is they are located north of the Westley Bottom Road, which is the distance where speeds start falling away quickly.

Being slap on the county boundary may be an issue too as the postcodes to the North are in Suffolk and to the south are in Cambridgeshire.

Right you are.

Edited by Sheza (Fri 30-Dec-16 11:29:24)

Print Thread

Jump to