General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fiddler
(member) Sun 01-Jan-17 09:54:22
Print Post

Superfarce Cymru

[link to this post]

In October, the Superfast Cymru checker listed our premises (currently served by Llandovery Cab 2) as being in scope for FTTP within three months. At the first of each subsequent month it became a month less so that at the start of December we were estimated to be able to place an order within one month.

So, this morning I check out of curiosity and we're back to three months.

Now given that there will be no one working today just to update website timetables, I suspect that the whole thing was automated right from the start and that there never was any likelihood of activation within three months. Which makes me doubt very much that I will be able to order within the time frame that I'm being advised now.

And, since Superfarce stopped their facebook and twitter feeds in the Summer, I have absolutely no one to contact to ask what is going on.

frown

Regards,

Rob
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Jan-17 11:15:17
Print Post

Re: Superfarce Cymru

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

The joy of FTTP, another 2% to 3% of Wales have FTTP in build and we do see bits going live, so its just a labour versus scale of task issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Sun 01-Jan-17 11:28:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No doubt.

But I can't see why if the timescale was progressing as it was why there is now three months to wait.

Regards,

Rob

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cymru123
(regular) Sun 01-Jan-17 12:45:15
Print Post

If there is a change in timescales then I don't think the system is updated until it is going to go over the previous estimated timeframe. Well that is what seems to happen throughout my experience in talking to BT Group and Openreach.
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Sun 01-Jan-17 14:42:12
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

depends on how they were going to deliverer as how FTTP is now being delivered has undergone massive changes in the last 4 / 5 months so may have been caught up with that in some shape or form
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jan-17 16:05:48
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
as how FTTP is now being delivered has undergone massive changes in the last 4 / 5 months

Does that mean they are deploying using the connectorisation hardware now? Or some other change?

Edited by WWWombat (Sun 01-Jan-17 16:10:58)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jan-17 16:10:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by fiddler:
Now given that there will be no one working today just to update website timetables, I suspect that the whole thing was automated right from the start

I think there is one aspect of the checker/estimator that *is* automated: when the end of a quarter is reached, and a piece of work has not been completed within that quarter as scheduled, then a new date at the end of the next quarter is automatically assigned.

On top of that, the checker tools all seem to rely on an underlying database that is only updated in overnight batches.
Standard User Broadbean2
(learned) Sun 01-Jan-17 20:06:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I’m also seeing FTTP timescales being progressively extended in my part of West Wales (Ceredigion). Some post codes that were recently expecting to be able to order an FTTP service within 1 month are now indicating that they will be able to place an order by Summer 2017.

It also depends on which checker you use. The information provided by the Superfast Wales/Cymru website at: https://beta.gov.wales/go-superfast/can-i-get-it (whose database is supposedly provided by BT as it is not controlled by the Welsh Government) does sometimes differ to the one on the Openreach/BT website at: https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-g...
For example, one property in a post code can indicate an ‘In Build’ phase with availability of FTTP within 3 months but the other checker for the same property just indicates ‘In Scope’ phase with no estimate of an availability to order date.

Clearly, it’s a shambles and I entirely agree that since Superfast Cymru effectively ‘shut up shop’ in June/July 2016 by closing their Facebook and Twitter feeds and moving their contact enquiry point to NGA Superfast in the Welsh Government Offices, it has been very difficult to find out what is going on. Any enquiries to the Welsh Government are invariably referred to BT for an answer and by the time you get a response the situation may have changed again.
Que Sera Sera!!!!!!
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 01-Jan-17 20:50:55
Print Post

[re: Broadbean2] [link to this post]

I recently contacted my local AM Paul Davies who in turn contacted the Regional manger for BT. After running all the o/h cables and lines a year back and being promised fttp by July it all stopped. Bt came bac and said OR had no timescale at all for our area of Pembs.
Try your AM, at least if we all keep pushing them they will know how we all feel
woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Jan-17 10:16:40
Print Post

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Same sort of thing in Pembroke. a 60's estate built on the edge of town (on the side closest to SWPM exchange at Pembroke Dock) was connected to a quite distant cabinet - PCP 4 at the top of Bush Hill/Ferry Lane - despite their being others closer. Of course this wasn't an issue for POTS, but now its a huge annoyance for those hanging off the end of it at some distance

So although the town is fed by conduits that run past the bottom of the road - to cabinets further from the exchange - they are still stuck on ADSL while being surrounded by areas that have been fibre enabled for more than 2 years now. A new pole was erected for FTTC and a new chamber was built in the footpath adjacent to it, but for over a year - nothing has happened.

Superfarce Cymru was always a joke, seeming only able to repeat BT PR fluff, even my AM had great difficulty getting a straight answer from them, I dont feel we lost much when that was disbanded, but like anything west of Swansea - we seem to be forgotten.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC
SWPM PCP29 - Still suffering Random drops and intermittent high error counts

BQM - looking better than it has been....
  Print Thread

Jump to