General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eurochez
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-17 14:42:43
Print Post

FTTH/FTTP self cabling

[link to this post]

Hi there - I currently have a FTTC VDSL connection which is fine but I am looking forward to my exchange being enabled for FTTH/FTTP.

I am in the middle of doing some renovations to my house which involve moving all my media/internet equipment into the basement and distributing via LAN cables throughout the house.

I am burying cables from the outside of the house down into the basement including Ethernet and co-ax but ideally I'd also like to incorporate a fibre cable so that, when the service becomes available, the ISP would just need to connect their drop cable from the street to the cable that I had already run into the basement.

The problem is that there appears to be a large number of cable types (http://www.fibrefab.com/products/cables/) and ideally I'd want to choose the cable that BT Openreach/other ISPs actually use.

Does anyone here have any experience of this?
thanks!
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 06-Jan-17 15:00:07
Print Post

Re: FTTH/FTTP self cabling

[re: eurochez] [link to this post]

Won't work. Openreach won't just tag onto the end of something you've installed.

The best thing you can do is to put the ducting in place with a rope so that cabling can be pulled through if needs be if and when Fibre to the home becomes available to you however I wouldn't get your hopes up of it happening any time in the next decade if you already have FTTC.
Standard User eurochez
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-17 15:03:29
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Lee

That (your suggestion of putting a cable/rope down the ducting to help with pulling though a future cable) is actually a great idea. It's less expensive and I can do that straight away.

I will however delude myself and ignore your pessimism about FTTP (although you're probably right)!

thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eurochez
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-17 15:06:18
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

LOL maybe I can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abPDWi9i1SQ
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Fri 06-Jan-17 15:35:40
Print Post

[re: eurochez] [link to this post]

Just leave the pull rope there.

Complete waste of time putting in a fibre cable, hoping that OR will connect it up to their network - they won't for a whole list of reasons...

Have a look at this as it may help and be of interest - https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/resources/sit...
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Fri 06-Jan-17 16:34:13
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

May I suggest a pull wire.

I put a pull rope into a long 50mm duct, with other cables, about 8 years ago.

When I came to need to use it to pull an additional cable through it had been eaten through by mice!

I still haven't solved the problem, but it looks as if I am going to have to dig a new trench.

NJSS

Standard User threelegs
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-17 18:07:34
Print Post

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

if you can blow a very thin string through with a vac in reverse you could use that to pull a bigger rope through . but only when ready as you may just feed more mice!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Jan-17 18:12:41
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

And if your duct has mice problems they have been known to eat through fibre too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jan-17 19:14:10
Print Post

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NJSS:
May I suggest a pull wire.
When I came to need to use it to pull an additional cable through it had been eaten through by mice!

Its probably wise to install a seal/plug at each end, as well as having the draw rope.

Openreach certainly mention them in the developer's guide.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Jan-17 19:20:25
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I bought some small tapered bungs on ebay to do just that.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to