General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bluehero
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-17 00:23:04
Print Post

Promise of Fibre not delivered

[link to this post]

Hi All

I am looking a bit of advice in relation to my broadband. I live in the countryside although I wouldn't consider us living in a rural area as there as numerous towns and villages within a 5 mile radius.

We live about 1.5 miles from the nearest exchange which became Fibre enabled in 2010. We currently get a max speed of 1.5 Mbps

In January 2015 when checking the Openreach website I noticed that our status had changed to In Scope and that Fibre would be coming soon.

In May 2015 a new Fibre cabinet was installed about 200m from my address, the cabinet was connected to the grid and work began on the underground cabling. I spoke to engineer who said he would expect I would be able to order Fibre in the next 8 weeks.

The engineers disappeared one day and never returned to complete the work. Meanwhile other cabinets on the exchange were activated by the end of the year.

In December 2015 our status changed to "Under Review" to "Coming Soon"

In March 2016 our status changed to "In Scope" mentioning FTTP however in December we are now back to "Under Review"

I have tried to get further information without any success

Does anyone have a similar experience and if so do they have any advice as to getting a resolution with BT for better speeds?
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Jan-17 00:32:26
Print Post

Re: Promise of Fibre not delivered

[re: Bluehero] [link to this post]

Well we waited for 5 years and all our FTTP hardware was in place already back in 2011 - 2012.

It took loads of emails from my local MP and myself to finally emails to the CEO of BT Group and Chairman of BT to get our FTTP.

Have you tried to get your local MP involved ?

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Jan-17 01:07:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bluehero:
I live in the countryside although I wouldn't consider us living in a rural area as there as numerous towns and villages within a 5 mile radius.

That still makes you rural. ONS defines "urban" to be towns with populations of 10,000+. If you're not in one, then you are rural, even if you live close by. In fact, most rural parts of the country are relatively close to towns and villages.

ONS have a separate definition known as "sparse" for places, and make the following distinction:
Using classifications that show sparse areas of England, some topics, such as incomes and qualifications, show ‘two countrysides’ – a better off, less sparse and more accessible one, and a less populous and isolated sparse countryside.

Within England, only about 1.5% of the population live in "sparse" areas, which amount to about 15% of the land area.

Meanwhile 19% of the population live in "rural" areas, which amount to about 80% of the land area.

Obviously there is a large proportion of the "rural" population that aren't really in the "sparse" part, but are nonetheless out in the countryside.

And, of course, there is still a significant portion of the rural area to cover. More than 25% at the moment.

Does anyone have a similar experience

There are some cabinets that have been stood, and delayed for long periods. There are even some cabinets that have been stood, and subsequently removed. Plans definitely change.

There probably isn't much that people can do to help and advise without knowing which exchange and cabinet number.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(member) Sun 08-Jan-17 11:09:50
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/notspot/t/4523156-p...

I believe that cabinet project has been abandoned.
Standard User Bluehero
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-17 12:06:58
Print Post

Thanks Guys for your replies.

I tried the MP several times and still awaiting a response.

I guessed that FTTC had been scrapped when FTTP appeared on the Openreach progress checker. We're back to under review however

My thinking is that Openreach have had the intention of delivering FTTC. They started the work and discovered that it wasn't viable. Should they not have picked up the unsuitableness of FTTC before they started the work?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Jan-17 12:09:55
Print Post

Unfortunately some things are not always apparent until a spade has been in the ground e.g. power cost estimate may have changed significantly after a previous estimate from the power company once they did some surveying.

Also there has been a slow shift towards more FTTP in Northern Ireland.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bluehero
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-17 12:24:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I don't think it was a power issue. Cabinet definitely has power. Reason I know this is the engineers left it wide open one night and there was lights on. I also saw the power company working at it

If this was 18 months ago, should a plan for FTTP now not be in place, if that is the route they have to go down? Why has Openreach website gone from saying we are In Scope for FTTP back to Under Review?

FTTP is in the area (about a mile away) with 300 Mbps. This property is about 5 miles away from it's exchange (a different one to ours) and we are 1.5 miles away from ours. Other property would be more rural than ours
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-Jan-17 12:35:38
Print Post

Both FTTC and FTTP, whichever you may get, are likely to be supplied from a different exchange from your phone connection.

This is very common. In the case of FTTC the two services meet at the FTTC cabinet. Im the case of FTTP they may remain separate or you may get the phone service supplied over the fibre.

A change of mind over that question may be what has stalled Openreach.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Jan-17 17:29:58
Print Post

If this was 18 months ago, should a plan for FTTP now not be in place, if that is the route they have to go down?

They don't have to go down *any* route. They can decide not to cover you at all ... at least while the targets are less than 100%.

If something happened to the FTTC plan, but FTTP remained as a viable option, then your area would be re-costed, and would appear somewhere else in the order of viable locations.

Why has Openreach website gone from saying we are In Scope for FTTP back to Under Review?

The biggest "unknown" element always tended to be power. If they had that sorted out correctly (and presuming the power company didn't go back asking for more money), then the next idea would be a planning issue or a complaint about the location.

FTTP is in the area (about a mile away) with 300 Mbps. This property is about 5 miles away from it's exchange (a different one to ours) and we are 1.5 miles away from ours.

For FTTP budgeting, it would be a question of distance from the aggregation node, not the distance from the exchange (or, more exactly, the head-end exchange).
Standard User Bluehero
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-17 18:50:47
Print Post

Thanks for the info guys. I bit more patience on my part is the only thing for it. Not sure if I have any left though
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to