General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stepdey
(newbie) Wed 11-Jan-17 17:18:17
Print Post

FTTC Speed when downloading.

[link to this post]

I am on FTTC and am connected at approx 28Mbps download speed.

Yet when downloading from You Tube, the download speed I get is a steady 3.5Mbps, Is this because You Tube restricts the max download speed ? or are there other reasons ?

I use Firefox , and download using Download Helper

Thank You
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 11-Jan-17 17:30:02
Print Post

Re: FTTC Speed when downloading.

[re: stepdey] [link to this post]

Is it 3.5Mbps (Megabits per second), or 3.5MBps (MegaBytes per second)? A Byte is 8 bits, and data transfer speeds are measured/shown in MBps by most downloaders.

Just that 3.5 x 8 = 28, which is a bit of a coincidence, and if it is MegaBytes an excellent throughput for your sync smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Jan-17 07:47:34
Print Post

The Samknows box does bitrate tests of Youtube automatically on my 45Mbps connection. It never goes above 4Mbps. Netflix will go to 15.6Mbps. So, I suspect most Youtube videos are a compressed HD hence the lower rates. You could try finding some Youtube UHD video and see if that streams any faster although I'm not sure if Youtube adjusts the stream quality according to the output device - if it does then your monitor resolution may stop it from trying to stream at higher rates.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stepdey
(newbie) Thu 12-Jan-17 15:56:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry RobertoS , I replied yesterday but the reply hasn't shown up. Probably my error.

Speed shows as 3.5MB/s in the download window, and after reading your post re Mbps versus MBps I now understand that my speed equates to what my actual connection speed from the cabinet is.
Thanks once again.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 12-Jan-17 16:20:15
Print Post

A very frequent mistake that people make. Don't worry that you did smile.

At least you now know it is fine. Which is better than not asking, and worrying. Or even raising a fault with your ISP.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to