General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sor
(member) Sat 14-Jan-17 09:55:32
Print Post

Have sync, no PPPoE

[link to this post]

Hi,

After much waiting, OR finally turned on the second fibre cabinet for my area, as the first one was totally full (physically installed in Sept, RFS in December). So I placed the upgrade order for BT Infinity (I was on standard ADSL2+).

Yesterday the upgrade "completed", or so I thought. I have a perfect 80/20 sync to the cabinet, but I can't get a PPPoE session, whether it's with my own router, the BT smart hub, etc.

In the logs it looks like the router's attempts to establish the PPP session go ignored, with the logs showing that it timed out - as if there's nothing at the "other end".

I'm just wondering what could be the problem, how this could have happened, etc. I know that the OR techs carry around test equipment, but does it only check for sync, it doesn't try to establish PPP? If I had to speculate I'm guessing I've been placed on the wrong port at the cabinet or something, so I'm not able to get even as far as BT Wholesale (the bt_test_user username doesn't work either). That or it's not provisioned correctly.

Posted in the fibre broadband forum as I don't think it's particularly BT Retail specific (other than the impressively slow response time to the fault - 48 hours minimum, apparently)
Standard User troublegum
(regular) Sat 14-Jan-17 10:33:34
Print Post

Re: Have sync, no PPPoE

[re: sor] [link to this post]

A faulty port or card can also cause this. Usually remedied by a lift and shift, but will of course need an engineer visit.

Edited by troublegum (Sat 14-Jan-17 10:34:09)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Jan-17 10:43:36
Print Post

We had the same on Thursday just gone with loads of the following error in the log:

00:10:44 12 Jan. :PPPoE error: timeout

It took 5 mins for it to connect back up, where I can see the following in the logs (read logs bottom to up):

00:15:02 12 Jan. ppp0:PPP: PPP INFO
00:15:02 12 Jan. ppp:PPP: IPCP_NAK
00:15:02 12 Jan. ppp:PPP: CHAP_SUCCESS
00:15:02 12 Jan. ppp:PPP: CHAP_RESPONSE
00:15:02 12 Jan. ppp:PPP: LCP_GOOD_ACK
00:15:02 12 Jan. ppp:PPP: LCP_REQUEST
00:15:01 12 Jan. :PPPoE error: timeout

So I guess BT had an issue.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 14-Jan-17 10:44:43
Print Post

A possible problem at your end needs ruling out. Have you got the routers still set to ATM? On FTTC it has to be PTM.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User sor
(member) Sat 14-Jan-17 10:50:14
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.
In reply to a post by troublegum:
A faulty port or card can also cause this. Usually remedied by a lift and shift, but will of course need an engineer visit.

This would seem to be the most likely cause. I called BT again this morning because I was wondering if they'd already closed the fault (the BT website said I had no open faults). Apparently it now needs OR attention and that could take 5 days. Jesus wept.

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
We had the same on Thursday just gone with loads of the following error in the log:

Sadly for me it's not worked ever since the upgrade "completed", so I am assuming I've got a different issue

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A possible problem at your end needs ruling out. Have you got the routers still set to ATM? On FTTC it has to be PTM.

I did change the config on my own router, but I did try the smart hub too and I assume that changes without any intervention.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Jan-17 10:53:52
Print Post

Simplest to leave the BT Hub in place until you know the service is working, then swap out for your own kit.

Advantage being support will often just blame your kit if things aren't working, so using supplied kit removes that hurdle. Plus you know by getting the BT Hub working you always have that as fall back hardware if yours dies e.g. lightning

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 14-Jan-17 10:55:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by sor:
but I did try the smart hub too and I assume that changes without any intervention.
Did you try a factory reset of the smart hub?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Jan-17 10:57:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It might also be down to their ISP not enabling their connection yet.

I think you can sync up fine without any ISP.
I know you could on ADSLx when we was in between ISP's we was able to sync up fine, we just wasn't given any ISP information like the IP's etc, but I could still see the stats etc which was 1.5 Mbps more than what we got with BT.

Like I said I think the syncing up part is to the exchange and it using the username (eg bthomehub@btbroadband.com for BT) to connect it to the BT network etc.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User sor
(member) Sat 14-Jan-17 10:59:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Simplest to leave the BT Hub in place until you know the service is working, then swap out for your own kit.

Advantage being support will often just blame your kit if things aren't working, so using supplied kit removes that hurdle. Plus you know by getting the BT Hub working you always have that as fall back hardware if yours dies e.g. lightning

That's what I've been doing as I wasn't 100% sure of my configuration. It seems to alternate between a steady orange light and rebooting every 10-20 minutes.

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by sor:
but I did try the smart hub too and I assume that changes without any intervention.
Did you try a factory reset of the smart hub?

Yep. The logs would suggest that it's switched over to the FTTC configuration (I can see messages about VDSL being up, PPPoE trying to connect, etc)

Edited by sor (Sat 14-Jan-17 10:59:55)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Jan-17 10:59:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

I think some of BT's tests require they hardware due to they talk to the actual hub.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to