General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User minesabeer
(newbie) Sat 14-Jan-17 17:03:14
Print Post

Recommend a modem for a long line lenth

[link to this post]

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read through this post, and I look forward to the words of wisdom I'm sure to recieve.
A little background, currently with 'minusnet' and about to leave there adsl service due to being fed up with there now non existant support, 20 mins waiting for call to be answered is far to long in this all to short life of ours. So therefore I am looking to join either Idnet or Pulse8 with a view of there fttc offerings. Having already got and using an Apple Airport Extreme https://support.apple.com/kb/SP672?viewlocale=en_US&... as my router which is working well, I'm here to ask which vdsl modem would you advise on pairing with it, bearing in mind I live out in the sticks, and a long way from the cabinet. I have been looking at the Draytek Vigor 130, http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130 do you think it is upto the task or are there better options? My neighbours are recieving in the region of 10mbs down if that helps at all.
I hope all this makes some sense to you experts in these matters, all I wish is to make the right investment first time, been down that road before........
Thank you
Mines
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Jan-17 17:53:58
Print Post

Re: Recommend a modem for a long line lenth

[re: minesabeer] [link to this post]

What are the estimates for your FTTC connection?
What are the the estimates for your neighbours connection and what modem are they using?
That gives you a starting point.

Do your 'possible' ISPs provide their own kit?

I wouldn't worry about pairing with your Apple router - it's the VDSL that matters smile

For me anything using a Broadcom chipset works best of long lines - take a look at Billion.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Jan-17 18:23:18
Print Post

If you're connected to a ECI FTTC cab then the Draytek 130 will be an excellent choice ( uses a Lantiq chipset) if a Huawei cab then using a Broadcom based vdsl2 modem such as HG612 will be your best bet. See here to see what type of FTTC cab you're connected to:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 14-Jan-17 18:24:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mml
(learned) Sat 14-Jan-17 18:59:11
Print Post

Plusnet's own Hub One also uses Lantiq's chip. While you're with them, see if you can con them into giving you one without extending the contract.
In fact, I switched TO plusnet (adsl) not too long ago, and started using their Hub instead of Draytek 120, and my speeds went up from about 2100 to 2500. Not sute if it's new hardware or DLM to thank for this.
(my cab reports to be Texas Instruments - no idea if it's closer to ECI or Huawei)

Edited by Mml (Sat 14-Jan-17 19:00:50)

Standard User minesabeer
(newbie) Sat 14-Jan-17 19:19:42
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thank you for the information, the cabinet is a Huawei, with the following details FTTC Available from 17th December 2015 Phase BDUK CDS 12b 154 Huawei, details obtained from CodeLook.
Any advice as to the best place to purchase a HG612, as I gather they are not exactly an of the shelf option or am I wrong in this assumption? Also I believe a B3 version is the one to go for, again have I got my facts right?
Thanks
Mines
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Jan-17 19:32:15
Print Post

HG612 generally eBay

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to