General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User caley
(member) Mon 16-Jan-17 21:18:30
Print Post

Can I now order FTTP?

[link to this post]

Hello.
I've just had a look at the BT Broadband Availability Checker and got quite a surprise. It now says FTTP is available to me. I've put a link to the checker below. I never expected to get this so I need to let some of you very knowledgeable people who have given me lots of good advice in the past look at it and tell me if this is really available. I have heard that some people who have had the same information from the checker then to be told by OR sorry was a mistake. Is there any way to check if it's available to me? If it is then I have no idea how to go about finding who supplies FTTP. I am with UNO at the moment and I wouldn't like to leave them but I can't find any info on their site about FTTP. I would really appreciate input and advice from the forum please.

The link is http://www.petremembrance.co.uk/exchange.jpg

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 16-Jan-17 21:23:36
Print Post

Re: Can I now order FTTP?

[re: caley] [link to this post]

You can order FTTC, but if you want to go down the FTTC Fibre on Demand route, then it's going to cost you a fair bit more.

You will have to pay possibly a considerable amount for the install and then also for the minimum term of a Fibre on Demand contract.

I'd stick with the FTTC for now unless you have money to burn.

Regards PGre
Standard User caley
(member) Mon 16-Jan-17 21:29:22
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I already have FTTC with UNO but I think I would go for FTTP if I can find out how much to get it installed and how much the ongoing cost would be. Whatever it costs I don't think I would refuse as it would help out on some of the projects I'm involved in.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Mon 16-Jan-17 21:39:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by caley:
Thanks for the reply. I already have FTTC with UNO but I think I would go for FTTP if I can find out how much to get it installed and how much the ongoing cost would be. Whatever it costs I don't think I would refuse as it would help out on some of the projects I'm involved in.

Caley.

We're not talking a couple of hundred for install fees here.

There are a lot of factors involved, but expect an install fee around a few thousand pounds. You then also have to sign up for a 36 month contract with exceptionally expensive monthly rates - the wholesale rate from BT is £140 a month I believe, and you can expect the very limited number of ISPs who offer FTTPoD to add to that figure once they add in their costs.

Your best bet is probably to just be patient and wait for G.Fast sadly.
Standard User caley
(member) Mon 16-Jan-17 21:46:30
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

Hi. You could be right about waiting if ever G.Fast becomes available here but even a couple of thousand sound ok but if you're right about the ongoing cost I'd need to think about it. I'll do a bit of investigating around Google and see what it says then decide. Thanks for your appreciated input.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Jan-17 22:12:55
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pgre:
You can order FTTC, but if you want to go down the FTTC Fibre FTTP on Demand route ....
FTFY smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 16-Jan-17 22:17:44
Print Post

Budget £3-5k installation fee and then £200-250 per month for 3 years.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Jan-17 22:23:53
Print Post

See the Openreach FTTPoD pricelist charged to BT Wholesale and any other Wholesale level providers.

The yellow lines look to be available in four days' time.

Note that from your FTTC estimate you are over 600 metres from the FTTC cabinet, and I doubt if the aggregation point that you would connect to would be much less.

So you are looking at a fixed £750, plus distance-related £1750 or £2450 installation. Subject to feasibility survey and possible extra charges, plus BT Wholesale profit, plus ISP gross margin, plus of course Vat but I assume your recoup that.

Then the ongoing Openreach rental as you can see is £1188pa. Plus the margins for the intermediates as above.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Jan-17 22:25:58
Print Post

Is 50Mbps or so down and 8-9Mbps on up on FTTC inadequate?

Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 16-Jan-17 22:26:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the correction. I'll try and blame auto correct smile

Regards PGre
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to