General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User KevinM2
(regular) Tue 17-Jan-17 12:37:06
Print Post

Cabinet Fibre date question...

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have been waiting patiently for my local cabinet to get Fibre for well over 12 months, but the Openreach checker is still sitting at the Design stage of the process, and has been for most of 2016...

The cabinet is WWYELV cabinet 2, and whilst other cabinets in this exchange have been fibre enabled for 2 years+, cabinet 2 is just sitting there...

Is there any way to check if there is actually any sort of release date for this? Is it listed on any sort of fibre release list?

Thanks,
Kevin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jan-17 13:09:43
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Fibre date question...

[re: KevinM2] [link to this post]

Alas nothing to add other than it looks to be a cabinet from a late commercial roll-out phase, and thus may see more progress once the CDS Phase I has completed, i.e. risk of penalties and fall out from that is over.

Nothing on roadworks.org that I can see linked to a cabinet in area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Tue 17-Jan-17 13:28:55
Print Post

It's got a RFS date of 31/03/2017, but it's still in the design stage so not sure how reliable that is.

Keep a track of roadworks.org to see if anything is planned soon.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User KevinM2
(regular) Tue 17-Jan-17 13:40:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the update guys smile

I would imagine, seeing as it hasn't moved from the Design phase, that a release date of 31/3 is very optimistic...but at least it does have an actual date!

I hadn't thought about roadworks.org...but I wonder how much roadworks would be involved, as the exchange itself is fibre enable, just the particular cabinet 2 that isn't...

Does that mean that somewhere in the village, they will need to install a green fibre cabinet just prior to it going live?

If that's the case, would it be possible, depending on the location of the fibre cabinet, that it might not need any roadworks? Say if it is in a location that the connection from the newly installed fibre cabinet to the local standard cabinet doesn't cross any roads etc?

Thanks again for the help smile
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-17 13:42:41
Print Post

New cabinet installations along with the required ducting work usually appear on roadworks.org.
Standard User KevinM2
(regular) Tue 17-Jan-17 13:50:00
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

OK, thanks Lee...Unfortunately, it seems that there is no work planned (as yet), but I suppose all that means is they are not ready to start any actually cabinet installation yet...

I guess that when they have a firm date for install, they can apply for a council permit, probably at reasonably short notice (maybe a month or so), and then the work would appear on roadworks.org...

I shall check roadworks as we approach March and see if anything has been added...

Appreciate the help smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jan-17 13:50:16
Print Post

They need to install a fibre twin within a few metres of the existing green cabinet, and get power to this cabinet and fibre from the exchange or elsewhere.

This means usually things will appear on roadworks.org and you may even spot chalk marks on the ground showing where stuff is going to go.

Some work is needed even if ducting is perfect, i.e. blow fibre in duct, connect power and build plinth. These usually mean permission needed as they might need to close a footpath while working.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Jan-17 13:55:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by KevinM2:
Thanks for the update guys smile

I would imagine, seeing as it hasn't moved from the Design phase, that a release date of 31/3 is very optimistic...but at least it does have an actual date!
I'm afraid quarter-end dates are almost always simply place-holders, indicating it is still in the plans. They nearly always slip by one or more quarters some time during the last week. So don't be too surprised if that happens.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User KevinM2
(regular) Tue 17-Jan-17 14:05:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That doesn't sound too optimistic, but as we near February, I kinda thought 31st March was never gonna happen!

I did check, but couldn't find anywhere, but is there a site showing the release date?

I would still check roadworks, but I would also check any fibre site to see if the 31/3 date slips as we get towards the end of March...

Thanks
Standard User chrigurndevon
(regular) Fri 20-Jan-17 14:48:35
Print Post

I would take the information on roadworks.org and the Openreach fibre-journey websites with a pinch of salt.
Roadworks.org said the ducting and building of a new fibre cabinet serving me would happen in early March 2017 and still does, but instead they rocked up on Wednesday and did (are still doing) the work. The Openreach website says it's still in the "design" phase, even though the new cabinet is clearly there. I hope yours slips forward as mine appears to have done.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to