General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(member) Tue 17-Jan-17 13:52:23
Print Post

Lost 9MB over christmas, also will 3db SNR help me?

[link to this post]

Over the christmas period my sync speed dropped from 74 to 65mbps and I think i have been pushed to interleaved as I've noticed an increase of about 5-10ms on my pings.

line stats from my HG612 are here: http://imgur.com/jdyyaVh

I have also noticed that my line is very stable on the 6dB SNR profile, do you think that, give my stats, I will be eligible for the 3dB Profile and also how much (if any) difference it will make?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-17 13:58:25
Print Post

Re: Lost 9MB over christmas, also will 3db SNR help me?

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

If your line is stable then how come you've lost 9Mb if sync speed?

Showing stats from the GUI is really a waste of time as the GUI is broken. It would be far better to sign up to MyDslWebStats wink
Standard User connormill
(member) Tue 17-Jan-17 14:12:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
If your line is stable then how come you've lost 9Mb if sync speed?

Showing stats from the GUI is really a waste of time as the GUI is broken. It would be far better to sign up to MyDslWebStats wink

I'll have a look at MyDslWebStats

the loss was coincidental with the Mrs covering the place in christmas lights, I think they may have had an effect of the line noise, but DLM has not allowed ti to recover

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Jan-17 14:13:58
Print Post

There is not just a single 3 dB profile. You may end up on 4 or 5 dB as well.

Looking at your stats, I guesstimate you might be able to hit 70000 kbps sync @ 3 dB, possibly a bit beyond.

As for your drop in sync, could be a line fault, or just further uptake of VDSL and thus more cross-talk from other lines, which will lower your attainable sync rate. As an example of this, I suspect my neighbor has just got VDSL installed as I've clocked a 0.5 dB drop on my line at whilst spotting the emergence of a new (PlusNet) wireless SSID.

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 TBB Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?

Edited by mixt (Tue 17-Jan-17 14:15:03)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-17 14:55:53
Print Post

With a 74Mbps attainable and current 65Mbps line rate can I suggest you do a modem reboot.

Turn off modem, and wait a minute. Disconnect the modem to socket lead and disconnect modem from your router.

Wait another 5 minutes, then power up the modem whilst leaving it disconnected. Wait around 2 minutes for it to fully boot.

Reconnect modem and router, then reconnect modem to the socket.

Recheck your stats.

Also interesting to see the GUI figures for Attainable, SNR, Attenuation and Output power and that they are all different and potentially correct. Looking at the downstream:

The attainable rate is usually correct - in your case 74348
SNR yours is 6dB whereas on my HG612 it is 16.4 which is my line attenuation.
Attenuation of 17.3dB which is about right for a mid-70s attainable, whereas in my modem it is 13.5 which is teh output power.
Power 13.3 dBmV - correct

Similarly the Upstream figures appear to be valid too.

Under the device tab on the GUI can you get a scree shot - would be interesting to see the Hardware, Software and Firmware versions along with the batch as the bugs do not appear to be in your modem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Tue 17-Jan-17 15:01:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jan-17 15:43:25
Print Post

If interference from the lights was the cause, i.e. lots more errors then if everything is stable and error free now, it may be a few weeks or months for speeds to recover, i.e. DLM systems tend to react faster to errors than they do to decide the error has gone and a bit of speed can be given back.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User connormill
(member) Tue 17-Jan-17 18:35:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Also interesting to see the GUI figures for Attainable, SNR, Attenuation and Output power and that they are all different and potentially correct. Looking at the downstream:

The attainable rate is usually correct - in your case 74348
SNR yours is 6dB whereas on my HG612 it is 16.4 which is my line attenuation.
Attenuation of 17.3dB which is about right for a mid-70s attainable, whereas in my modem it is 13.5 which is teh output power.
Power 13.3 dBmV - correct

Similarly the Upstream figures appear to be valid too.

Under the device tab on the GUI can you get a scree shot - would be interesting to see the Hardware, Software and Firmware versions along with the batch as the bugs do not appear to be in your modem.

I have tried a modem reset already. Left it 18 days since the speed dropped then tried a reset, didn't want to trigger the DLM more!

I agree with the 74 Max attainable as the OR Line Checker has my top end speed as 74.

The line comes in overhead, it's a relatively new dropwire and terminates into a new NTE5 with VDSL Plate, no extensions so I'd like to think I'll get near to the top end of the scale

Screenshots of the Modem and also the line checker are here: http://imgur.com/a/Lmw2y
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-17 18:42:49
Print Post

Same version number as I have here !

When you have DSL ststs installed, check to see if the Attainable, SNR, Attenuation, and Power figures are the same in DSLstats and the GUI. On mine and most others they are different and the GUI has Atten & Power as identical!

It is also four days since your last reboot, so a managed power down and restart should not upset DLM as it should see the close down occur.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User connormill
(member) Tue 17-Jan-17 19:01:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Did a reboot from the GUI on the HG612, marginally slower sync than before: http://imgur.com/a/wY1b3

I did register on the DSLStats site, but the link to the download link appears to be broken, so didn't look any further into it.

I do tend to trust these reading from the HG612 as they match very closely to the Technicolour router that SSE Supplied to me. But I needed something with a bit more horsepower so I now run a HG612, MikroTik RB2011 and Ubiquiti UniFi AC
Standard User connormill
(member) Tue 17-Jan-17 19:21:12
Print Post

I mow have DSL Stats running.

As I dont have a machine thats running 24/7 I have installed it on a server I use for network monitoring at work, and set up an L2TP VPN back to the house.

I'll leave it running for a while and log any changes, is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for? (Wireless networking is my day to day, not all that expert in DSL!)

Screenshot of the DSL Stats screen now: http://imgur.com/a/hMagT
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to