General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rushmere2012
(newbie) Mon 23-Jan-17 12:53:18
Print Post

Moving Home - FTTP

[link to this post]

I am currently in the process of moving home, back when I first made an offer for the house, BT advised I can get FTTP at up to 330mb/s (Ashford LWASH exchange)

Move forward to now and BT's checker now says "We are exploring solutions" for our house, but the next door neighbours (who are on the same pole) says they can get FTTP.

This is rather frustrating as we are now in the closing stages and I want to place my fibre order made as soon as we have a move in date, but BT now says this is unavailable.

The only thing I can think of is that the existing residents have just cancelled the BT line - would this cause the checker to say that Fibre isnt available? Or does this mean they dont have the capacity?

Is there a way I can find out what has happened?

Many thanks

Andy
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 12:55:08
Print Post

Re: Moving Home - FTTP

[re: Rushmere2012] [link to this post]

Have you spoken to the seller.. worth asking direct.

Regards PGre
(newbie) Mon 23-Jan-17 12:58:49
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

Not spoke to the sellers as annoyingly I do not have direct contact with them - only through solicitors.

Is there any way in which I can find out through BT?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 23-Jan-17 13:06:53
Print Post

It could be that the "Cease" the sellers ordered has not yet completed, even though the service has been stopped by the retailer, so is still showing on the Openreach orders for the line. That automatically prevents any new orders being placed.

What does the Address option say for the premises? Don't use the Postcode option.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-17 13:10:58
Print Post

I say its possibly one of the following:
1: Capacity, i.e. all fibres are used up on the DP / Manifold.
2: Your phone line is on a different PCP cabinet than your neighbour(s) it does happen.
3: BT decided on not completing the FTTP rollout down your road.
4: Some other reason.

Well reasons 2 and 3 happened to us, where our FTTP hardware was live due to a home already had FTTP.

After a total of 5 years or me moaning at them along with 2 of those years by my local MP along with proof the hardware was live and that there was no reason why we shouldn't be able to order FTTP, it then took an email from me to the CEO of BT Group and the Chairman's Office at BT for it to go live the end of last year.

So you need to contact BT about it and also your local MP to get the ball rolling.

Basically the way I see it, if there is already somebody on your phone pole that has FTTP and that there is still spare fibres left, you should be able to order FTTP even if your phone lines are on a different PCP cabinets.

The fibres will be coming from the same splitter anyhow and you would be using the same DP and possibly same manifold, so it just doesn't make financial sense not being able to order FTTP when there are spare fibres.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
(newbie) Mon 23-Jan-17 13:13:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok, that makes sense, will give it a few days and see if anything changes whilst they update the order,

I have been using the Address option, which is how I knew that no. 8 still had FTTP available. It just says that 11mb ADSL is available at the moment.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-17 13:15:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rushmere2012:
Ok, that makes sense, will give it a few days and see if anything changes whilst they update the order,

I have been using the Address option, which is how I knew that no. 8 still had FTTP available. It just says that 11mb ADSL is available at the moment.

Does it say you two are on the same cabinet?

Paul

TBB Speedtest
(newbie) Mon 23-Jan-17 13:19:15
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hi Paul,

The BT address checker says that both the house I am buying and the neighbours is serviced by the same cabinet.

Hopefully it isnt all of the fibres being used up on the manifold - is there a way in which I can confirm this? (i.e. who would I need to contact?)

If there is capacity, I am just hoping it is purely because the existing residents are in the process of cancelling, as like I said, it did say FTTP was available 2 weeks ago.

Many thanks
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 13:24:38
Print Post

I hink that's exactly what it is.

If the previous owner has FTTP then there'll be a fibre for you. I don't think it's like FTTC where they got and remove he fibre from the manifold or the splitter once someone cancels service.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-17 13:34:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rushmere2012:
Hi Paul,

The BT address checker says that both the house I am buying and the neighbours is serviced by the same cabinet.

Hopefully it isnt all of the fibres being used up on the manifold - is there a way in which I can confirm this? (i.e. who would I need to contact?)

If there is capacity, I am just hoping it is purely because the existing residents are in the process of cancelling, as like I said, it did say FTTP was available 2 weeks ago.

Many thanks

Do a check for all homes on that phone pole, you might need to use Google Maps to see what homes are on it.
If there are about 12 or so homes on you pole that can get FTTP then you will have to wait for BT to add another manifold and duct to it.

At the start it will say its available to everyone on the pole until they order it then they get allocated a fibre from the dp, so maybe all 12 are used up.

Even when the last owner cancels their FTTP I think it still remains allocated to that address, but I might be wrong.

So I am thinking the last owner didn't have FTTP, but was able to order it and now there is no available fibres left.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to